So what happening in your garage this weekend?

13 hours ago, michaeldavis39 said:

Those black and silver plates look so wrong, these cars never had them. I would have the original metal plates in yellow with the raised black plastic letters as originally used. 

I'd love to see someone fit the original style yellow/white with raised letters plates, I think it would look great. 

Gareth

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stuart-- Some better pics of the tubing straightener. The aluminum blocks are 7" x 1" x 0.5".  You should be able to closely estimate the other dimensions from those, though none are particularly

Morning all,  got the job finished gearbox out the only thing that got in the way was the flap on the bottom of the heater. Now got to clean all parts take off and tidy up things under the dash as the

Preparing my Ford Zodiac MK4 Executive for sale. Too may classic to look after!

Posted Images

No worries there chopper the original style will be on mine - you know the reflective yellow background and the reflective white with raised letters-just need to find who makes them -no reflection with silver and black obviously which will have been why the dvla changed them though the old TRs before the 6 do suit the old plates as they are period correct. 

Happy motoring everyone. 

Michael

Edited by michaeldavis39
2 hours ago, michaeldavis39 said:

No worries there chopper the original style will be on mine - you know the reflective yellow background and the reflective white with raised letters-just need to find who makes them -no reflection with silver and black obviously which will have been why the dvla changed them though the old TRs before the 6 do suit the old plates as they are period correct. 

Happy motoring everyone. 

Michael

Black and silver number plates were road legal up to 1/1/75

i would say that the TR6 had these plates in 1969 and were "period correct" then.

53 minutes ago, michaeldavis39 said:

but in the grand scheme of things these old sportscars are no longer cheap if your doing a full restoration either yourself or someone doing it for you. 

Hi Michael,

Very true! The plate price would be a' minor' cost in that context.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Not actually in the garage, but hiding from the ‘hottest ever easter’ in the air conditioned workshop, lovely :-)

1497CA08-C90B-4609-B2F2-4B46A16E3BA0.jpeg

Air conditioning!

I've spent a lovely day roasting togged up doing some welding. That's  just cheating or your numbers have come up!

New camshaft & followers went in today, tomorrow we try to work out how to set it all up, no markings on sprockets, it's a non standard cam and I have a vernier sprocket too. Once that's done it's on with the newly reconditioned head, fit all the ancillaries and hopefully have the car mobile again sometime on Sunday.

Hi Ian,

you should have a magic number for the cam to set the timing to.  110' is typical.

A DTI and a timing wheel are required.

Take your time.

And remember if your using the #1 inlet valve for the timing it may be the second one along.

Roger

27 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Ian,

you should have a magic number for the cam to set the timing to.  110' is typical.

A DTI and a timing wheel are required.

Take your time.

And remember if your using the #1 inlet valve for the timing it may be the second one along.

Roger

Hi Roger,

Yes, it's 110 with this cam, I do have a DTI and a timing wheel, just no experience of using either! I have a friend assisting, we will muddle through.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,I just purchased a copy of the Comp. Manual (Kastner) for the 6 cyl.TR's from somewhere over there.I thought it might be some help with my rebuild of  the original motor.(Which seems to already have some Kastner parts in it!) Regards,Michael.

Internal thread cutting practice to create a collet draw bar.

Some success.

Finished the piston stop plate and dummy push rod holder for installing the TR2-4 cam.  Spring loaded dummy push rods with cam followers next.

Like the Macys item.  https://macysgarage.com/cam degree.htm

Peter W

More welding front nearly done.

Added some fillets to the bulkhead which made a noticeable difference to the stiffness of the panels and finished front valance repairs. Old floor/tub brackets to replace next  with some new ones then the rear valance is been taken off before it falls off PO replaced it but I think they glued it on!

Don't suppose anyone reasonably local has a spot welder they would be willing to lend for a couple of hours?   

Andy

IMG_1031.JPG

IMG_1039.JPG

Putting 3 TRs to bed while we are in Canada and the US for 6 weeks from Monday. 20km drive to get everything moving, wipe over with the chamois, trickle charger on the TR6 and car cover to keep the dust off. 

Restoration TR2 given a short run then wipe over and car cover. Battery disconnected.

I left my daily driver TR2 for tomorrow so I can take her for a run.

I'll be in Vancouver for the All British Day. Should be interesting.

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:47 PM, Crawfie said:

Nothing wrong with black plates !!!!

image.jpeg

I'm looking to replace my rear number plate, it's plastic, Perspex, acrylic or something like that, silver on black with a silver border surround. I've searched the UK suppliers and can only find the pressed steel version. There were two vendors at Stoneleigh who don't do them either.

Anyone know where I can find a supplier......see pic.

Number Plate.jpg

9 minutes ago, Richard71 said:

I'm looking to replace my rear number plate, it's plastic, Perspex, acrylic or something like that, silver on black with a silver border surround. I've searched the UK suppliers and can only find the pressed steel version. There were two vendors at Stoneleigh who don't do them either.

Anyone know where I can find a supplier......see pic.

Number Plate.jpg

Silver on black acrylic - anything here?

https://www.classicplatesonline.co.uk/plates.asp

Peter W

Richard

I have used Tippers St Austell for classic plates, always very good.

Regards

Paul

Paul

Thanks Paul,

I've ordered from "classic plates online". They advised me that what I was actually after is a modern version of an older plate, I don't know. Anyway, I gave up the search and opted for option 17 of there selection.

Richard.

Been doing a bit of plumbing 

2852B7B1-10F0-43FF-A6F9-81F16CD20F00.jpeg

589887C3-4396-4D10-A214-08B72B3E59A7.jpeg

AF3C7373-1EAD-4303-BC1A-3B56C0B13AA2.jpeg

DAE196A3-337A-4D88-8065-5D1A0C8CD6ED.jpeg

Cheers Waldi, the restoration has become a little “detailed”...! :)