So what happening in your garage this weekend?

Front bumper removal on the 6 in preparation for re-chroming and hopefully get my lad to give me a hand!

Jon

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stuart-- Some better pics of the tubing straightener. The aluminum blocks are 7" x 1" x 0.5".  You should be able to closely estimate the other dimensions from those, though none are particularly

Morning all,  got the job finished gearbox out the only thing that got in the way was the flap on the bottom of the heater. Now got to clean all parts take off and tidy up things under the dash as the

Preparing my Ford Zodiac MK4 Executive for sale. Too may classic to look after!

Posted Images

TR6 removing old rear deck and side corner panels and replace with new.

Paul

Used it as a workshop to paint some m² of wood paneling with the garage door opened,

so got a visit from a new naibor some streets away, told me he owns an Austin Healey 3000,

wants to visit we with the car when the weather is better.

On November 8, 2018 at 8:30 AM, stuart said:

Well you could get your mates round and do this I suppose https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIpBpGQ0XTI&feature=youtu.be

Should have rotated the tires (tyres).  Waisted opportunity!

Reseated the exhaust and have to refit the radio tomorrow. Then the car will be all sorted for the winter rest up...

Cheers

Tim

In addition to my progress on changing the fuel pump & wiring listed elsewhere, I managed to drill out an old rivet and by using some slightly larger than standard bolts I fitted the tool roll strap in the boot. If only I had an original toolkit to restrain this would be great!

I rolled the 4 out of the garage so I could get our suitcases  out.... short break to Boston, Mass ..... rolled back inside ok to :)

...... Andy 

8 hours ago, AndyR100 said:

I rolled the 4 out of the garage so I could get our suitcases  out.... short break to Boston, Mass ..... rolled back inside ok to :)

...... Andy 

Enjoy Boston Andy. Lovely time to go.

16 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Enjoy Boston Andy. Lovely time to go.

Thanks Sean, will do, we try and go every couple of years, it is usually a great time of year to be here - although looks like we’ll miss out on the white stuff on this occasion. 

...... Andy 

The Mazda seats are out, but I had to move the TR out of the garage to get another car on the pit.

"New" driver seat was fast made of old rugs and some picknick rugs, was not that bad as I am 192 cm tall.

IMG_3869-b.JPG.0811f6fc857da0188041dc9735e6b525.JPG

(shure, not for driving on public roads)

My TR6 is luxuriating in the garage this winter for the first time !

I’m replacing the rear wings, and whilst the trim is out am replacing that too.

going well so far, the offside wing is off and there’s not much corrosion evident underneath which is a result.

when the temp gets back above 5c i’ll finish unbolting the nearside wing which is better condition than the offside so i’m hopeful there won’t be any nasty surprises.

i’ve bought an original offside wing thats in great condition, still looking for a sensibly price nearside one if anyone has such a thing?

Then i need to choose a local firm to paint and maybe fit them.

i was thinking of fitting the wings myself but am unsure....

steve

Steve,

if you first trial fit your new wing and are happy with the fit, you can then have it sprayed separate from the car by a body shop. Then fit it. This will give the best result.

Waldi

steve, I have just done one rear wing on my 4a, fitted a few times to get it right then had it sprayed. Did a dry fit then with masking tape. Then did it for real with the none setting windscreen sealer. It would have been easier if there were four hands and not just the two I have. Good luck it will work out fine.

Mike  Redrose Group 

28700D73-6C64-4094-8464-8B2EB9D5FBAC.jpeg

EAD19D90-7F43-4045-B7A9-E003DA374201.jpeg

7C48DB44-BF3D-4DBA-8114-2139AABA5DD6.jpeg

Thanks Waldi and Mike!

after 90 minutes gentle swearing at lunchtime the second wing is off!

The plan is as suggested, offer up the ‘new’ wings and when happy have them painted and fit VERY CAREFULLY!

does anyone know of an original nearside wing for sale, i’d rather have a good original than ‘new’

steve

Had a clean up of the ‘under wing’ areas today, was surprised to find very little rust!

what is the recommended treatment for the areas where the wings bolt up to, before fitting, to slow the rust down?

steve

6A3ADE42-2D07-4A29-BEDB-4E76C535379B.jpeg

45 minutes ago, Steves_TR6 said:

Had a clean up of the ‘under wing’ areas today, was surprised to find very little rust!

what is the recommended treatment for the areas where the wings bolt up to, before fitting, to slow the rust down?

steve

6A3ADE42-2D07-4A29-BEDB-4E76C535379B.jpeg

Bare metal all that, then seam seal the deck edge and where the back panel meets then stonechip then prime then paint, same for the inside of the wing, re-fit the wing with non setting windscreen sealer and then drown the whole area in waxoyl, that`ll be fine. Fit wheel arch protectors if you fancy but using my method it will still out last you.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Hi Steve,

I think Stuart is referring to the joint where the rear deck panel folds down over the inner wing. So the length from the back of the B pillar to the front of the boot lid. The joint where the deck panel folds over the inner wing should be seam sealed to stop water going up into the joint.

Cheers,

Sean