So what happening in your garage this weekend?

Doing the Round Britain Reliability Run!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stuart-- Some better pics of the tubing straightener. The aluminum blocks are 7" x 1" x 0.5".  You should be able to closely estimate the other dimensions from those, though none are particularly

Morning all,  got the job finished gearbox out the only thing that got in the way was the flap on the bottom of the heater. Now got to clean all parts take off and tidy up things under the dash as the

Preparing my Ford Zodiac MK4 Executive for sale. Too may classic to look after!

Posted Images

3 hours ago, graeme said:

Installing a firewall and spraying some panels in primer.

Cheers

Graeme

TR250_005-2048.thumb.jpg.72e789e8cca7862c24f901dd82aa877c.jpg

TR250_006-2048.thumb.jpg.8cfcd9455d1b4ec524be5af613366403.jpg

Bit of an overkill with the rivets there Graeme! Why not do it in one piece BTW?

Stuart.

Hi Stuart, 

The previous owner had cut the triangle supports to install speakers, so I removed the remains and replaced with a steel panel for rigidity. Then installed the ally panel above with rivets every inch, I had read that somewhere.

Hope it doesn't have to come out again!:o

Cheers

Graeme

My take on a trailing arm jig.

Had to open out the crush tubes in the new sections as they had been welded off center which was a bit of a pig to sort but the jig fits both old and new so should fit well when the time comes.

DSC04985.thumb.JPG.480bd05af5ac6f895f125ce8a75f3e0b.JPG

Edited by PodOne

Finally collected a Breeze-Breaker from member 'trtechi' in Birmingham and trial fitted it today, I've been looking for one all summer.  Many thanks to Chris Russell who talked me through the bracket configuration/assembly which differed from my last one - the LHC is now very pleased and I've got more domestic brownie points!

44056824_10212948634125790_6704632450875

Cheers, Andrew

27 minutes ago, Mark69 said:

Hi Pod one,

when I replaced mine , I welded a piece of angle iron to the four main chassis rails just in front of the t shirt panel.

Mark

Hi Mark

Just out of shot is two heavy gauge angle irons placed top and bottom bolted through the outer chassi rails and connected in the middle. Going to bolt another lenght as you suggest from the outrigger to the other hole on the T shirt as extra insurance.

Andy

12 hours ago, PodOne said:

Hi Mark

Just out of shot is two heavy gauge angle irons placed top and bottom bolted through the outer chassi rails and connected in the middle. Going to bolt another lenght as you suggest from the outrigger to the other hole on the T shirt as extra insurance.

Andy

What you do have to watch when replacing trailing arms/T shirt is the rear section of the chassis from the waist point lifting.

Stuart.

Now have the chassis rolling again.

IMG_2021.JPG

12 hours ago, Paul J said:

Now have the chassis rolling again.

IMG_2021.JPG

Get you with your yellow springs! Looking good Paul, have you re-enforced the top of the rear diff pins.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

Get you with your yellow springs! Looking good Paul, have you re-enforced the top of the rear diff pins.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart you changed my morning plans from Grampound!!

I had removed the rear bridge and boxed it in but somehow overlooked the top pin plates, is it a sign of things to come.

Best

Paul

IMG_2032.JPG

Managed to find an OE gear knob and steering wheel in decent condition so they are going straight on at the weekend and a will be reinstalling the central push/pull interior light on/off switch (the one that sits under the radio on the H frame).

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 4:24 PM, graeme said:

Hope it doesn't have to come out again!:o

Guess you'll have to install the surrey backlight before the fuel tank then;)

7 hours ago, Ragtag said:

Guess you'll have to install the surrey backlight before the fuel tank then;)

You can just reach the bolts for the Surrey with the tank in from boot side, its a bit of a fiddle and you dont want to lose any nuts or washers down in front of the tank!

Stuart.

On the question of suspenders n stuff. I decided to tear down the front suspension for something to do. My car has always been low at the front. I finally got the seized in trunnion bolt out with the help of a 9X rivet gun and plenty of heat and freeway, removed the vertical link and messing about with the spring compressor ....realised I didn’t need it.... just lifted said coil out! Low and behold no isolators. The spring when compared to a new one has only settled about a quarter inch. Getting the steering arm and calliper plate off I had to resort to grinding the nuts off and judicious use of the rivet gun. Praise the lord for dye grinders and rivet guns!

One question though, is the alloy spacer required? Mr Moss’s IPC implies it’s not? It would certainly lift the front end a couple of inches!

12 hours ago, DaveN said:

One question though, is the alloy spacer required? Mr Moss’s IPC implies it’s not? It would certainly lift the front end a couple of inches!

That depends on the springs fitted, standard ones dont need them, certain others do.

Stuart.

Having moved house a year ago, it is now time to start work on a new garage and workshop. The ground works were all going well until the second footings trench was opened up for building control, then we found a pipe that was not on any searches. Lots of sucking of teeth: was it gas? was it mains water? was it a drain? Lots of phone calls to people who should know but little resolution. The advise was that as a 5" ductile pipe it was not gas, not a drain but more likely a water main but was it live or dead? The only way to find out was drill a 3mm hole in it. This the builder did with the result that he got a bit wet. It had water pressure but not enough for mains, we judged. So let it alone and see what happens. Within two hours the jet was noticeably weaker, after 24 hrs it has stopped altogether. Whew, it was a dead water main. We think that it probably fed some large greenhouses, long removed for some 1960s/70s houses built at the back of our house. The plan agreed with building control and a water company sub-contractor is to cut the pipe and cap both ends, then get back to digging the footings.

20181017_141608 - Copy.jpg

20181017_143040 - Copy.jpg

20181018_124444 - Copy.jpg

Edited by red6

What's this pipe?    Drill a hole and see what's in it!

OMG!  It's water, under pressure!   Stay cool, man, leave it a day, see what happens.

Would that work on engines?    I love the attitude!

John

Today I removed the offside VL etc..... this one was even more difficult... not helped by Mr. Bodger fixing the calliper plate with a couple of metric cap head screws! Left the bits soaking as the bolts are rusted in solid!

I see another trip to visit Mr. Moss on Monday.... good job I can sneak out of work...saves two journeys.

On 10/18/2018 at 7:45 PM, DaveN said:

Is it me or does that front spring look coil bound??

dave

Yes Dave I have some concerns for the front springs the bottom 2-3 coils, they are the originals, think I maybe changing them.

Paul