So what happening in your garage this weekend?

Helping a mate with his '59 Frogeye project that has been living on my 4 post ramp for far too long.

Job today was to replace worn stub axle assemblies with new. Stripped one side only to find the front shock was completely knackered. Ordered new pair. Started to strip other side and found lower wishbone bushed were completely destroyed and were coming away from the pan. The trunnion had welded itself to the king pin and the only way to remove it was to cut it out so a 60 quid exchange item now worthless!

Stop, order new pan and basically give up for another weekend.

The joys of restoration!

Steve

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stuart-- Some better pics of the tubing straightener. The aluminum blocks are 7" x 1" x 0.5".  You should be able to closely estimate the other dimensions from those, though none are particularly

Morning all,  got the job finished gearbox out the only thing that got in the way was the flap on the bottom of the heater. Now got to clean all parts take off and tidy up things under the dash as the

Preparing my Ford Zodiac MK4 Executive for sale. Too may classic to look after!

Posted Images

Modifying my home made rotisserie from a TR6 fitting to TR250 fitting.

Then I can get the bottom of the TR250 stripped of underseal, paint etc.

Graeme

Do you have a picture of the TR6 version Graeme?

Steve,

This picture shows the front end and the rear is similar just drilled to suit the two rear bumper mountings with stand off spacers to suit. Two engine stands were used.

Cheers

Graeme

TR6-011-2048_zps6e9494c7.jpg

Stripped and painted with POR15 paint the radiator protector plate and the sway bar and fitted them. Also fired her up (no exhaust) and drove up and down the driveway a few times to test the brakes and clutch after new cylinders in both systems.

Hi Ed. Following your excellent example of course! I used the shrinker to form the inner curve but I couldn't master doing both internal and external curves in the same piece. I cut a separate curved vertical piece and welded them together first

post-12473-0-40292000-1454921757_thumb.jpg

Rebuilt the drivers side B post bottom this weekend. Dead proud of the result. Still to seam weld around the edges, but it's plug welded into place. Nearside one next is equally bad so that's next.

Are you going to lead them in afterwards Sean? Its the best way to get the lines back and prevent paint cracking.

Stuart.

Not sure I have the skill Stuart! I've watched your video on the website a few times but I've never done it. Looks complicated. Are you doing another technical session on it any time soon?

Sean

Will be doing the usual one at International this year. If you fancy a weekend break down here I can give you lessons.

Stuart.

This weekend I think I will get in the garage, turn up the heating and clean something on the Joker, while I'm in there with nothing much to do I will have time to dream of the fresh spring days. I'm sure I am suffering fro S.A.D

Wish I was married to a Duchess, I could do with one of those !

Fitted my hardtop to my TR6 so that I can repair the frame and then fit a new hood.

The hardtop is red, the car is blue, and has ripped head lining repaired with gaffe tape, but does have a Webasto sunroof so I can still pretend its a convertible!

The old hood frame has a couple of broken rivets and is basically very worn. However I have a new lathe so am looking forward to making new fitting for it :).

Will probably take the TR up to Stoneleigh for the spares show at the weekend. If anyone sees as blue TR6 with red hardtop say hello!

Mike

This will be the 3rd weekend assembling the engine.Saturdays only.

(TR5) re-build - back end trial fitted, front end / timing all set up and complete. Trial fitted the head and hope to finish with new rocker shaft and rockers, finish the back end, fit the sump, refurbish the pedestal with new seals etc.

All takes time

post-391-0-94828900-1455799768_thumb.jpg

post-391-0-87413400-1455799794_thumb.jpg

An interesting week or two.

Julian's Mallock engine, Holbay Ford 1500 pre-crossflow, heaved into the Passat for refresh By Jeff at Fairway - one more tripping over object out of the way. Meanwhile the Webers are with Keith in Nottingham to be checked over whilst he's respraying the Humber. The Big Bomber progresses steadily, new head gasket will hopefully have cured the naval (as in smokescreen) oil consumption on the way up - the old girl had burned through a fair chunk of the two and a half gallon oil capacity. Body now mostly done . . . . . encouraging.

Absence of large Humber leaves space in no 1 garage to investigate stuff that hasn't been disturbed in decades. No 2 garage has now been largely sorted on the first floor, a good 80% of surplus Wedgie parts that were up there have gone to new homes, and the storage above the rafters is now empty as opposed to chocker. That still leave a fair few Wedgie parts yet to go, but there is light at the end of the tunnel, and space to relocate stuff from no 1 !

Audi parts nearly all sorted, soon the 80 and 90 quattro saloons can go on the 'bay as resto projects, potential historic rally cars, along with a ton of spares.

Her ladyship wishes to take her Standard Pennant to Lincoln IWE, and it's been in the air and wrapped up for the past 20 years. Now unwrapped, still in the air on stands, and next weekend we'll make a start on a lengthy recommissioning process. I'd forgotten that the interior was full of stuff, several boxes of nos Stanpart, Lucas, Girling etc that I haven't seen for 20 years, and had forgotten about. All TR2-4A, heaven knows what's in there, we'll find out in due course - now that the boxes have been relocated for unpacking in no 2 !

Next task, unwrapping her 4A . . . . . probably more treasure lurking in there too, we'll see . . . .

Yesterday was a Rover down on its bump stops, donating substantial piles of assorted cr*p to the local recycling centre - even the skippies were impressed at just how much volume as well as weight can be crammed into an 820.

Progress, of a sort. Onwards and upwards.

Cheers

Alec