So what happening in your garage this weekend?

I need the make sure the Joker is still in there and start thinking about those warm spring days.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stuart-- Some better pics of the tubing straightener. The aluminum blocks are 7" x 1" x 0.5".  You should be able to closely estimate the other dimensions from those, though none are particularly

Morning all,  got the job finished gearbox out the only thing that got in the way was the flap on the bottom of the heater. Now got to clean all parts take off and tidy up things under the dash as the

Preparing my Ford Zodiac MK4 Executive for sale. Too may classic to look after!

Posted Images

I have loaded the contents, all tools and machinery and 25 years accumulation of nuts bolts and other various odd bits of stuff ,onto my transporter trailer and taken it all to a storage container ready for my move to a new house sometime in February. Now have to find somewhere for the cars!

Brake check and converting indicators to LED's, whilst awaiting a replacement windscreen capping

Cold, but, with a steel South facing door and the central heating boiler running, it's not so cold that I would rather be in the house, taking decorating instructions from SWMBO

Edited by wjgco

Took the dust cover off and started the 6 up. First time for 2 months. After so long, I like to crank her over to get oil pressure. With the choke 3/4s out she fires up and once the engine settles, I have listen......the engine is quiet and smooth like a sowing machine. Last winter I replaced the std shells, thrust washers and refurbished the rockers, which included a new shaft.

Last time I started her up was to check the static and advanced timing as she had pinked upon low down firm acceleration. The advance was 4 degrees too advanced. Checked it through full range and the distributor seems unworn. I have not had time to take her out for a spin since doing that, but reving the engine whilst on the drive, it certainly seems to be sweeter on pick up.

Peter

Striped underseal off the wings and recoated with stone chip. Should keep the rust away. Interestingly 2 wings only had primer under the underseal. And in all cases despite thick underseal there were multiple "pock" marks where stones had penetrated the underseal and paint exposing metal that was beginning to corrode.

Cheers

Tim

Thats why I use Bondrust under the primer as even a real heavy stone chip wont penetrate that.

Stuart.

Finished installing a new loom to my 1974 CR from Autosparks. (Lovely piece of kit.)

First test was to connect battery through an in line fuse and an old Ammeter with ignition OFF, all fuses OUT.

Wipers started ! :wub: Ooops!

Found the problem, Green Red to Light Switch had got exchanged with Light Green Red to Wiper Switch.

I blame the lack of light when lying upside down under the dash my aging eyes didn't spot the difference.

No harm done.

Much worse was to follow though with a supplied ignition switch sub loom having been supplied wrongly wired, now that did confuse matters.

There are only four wires to the Ignition Switch but swapping two of them causes havock.....

All sorted now and it all works a treat, as normal immense thanks to our leader here on the rock......

Good tip though, to install an in line fuse on the battery connection until all testing satisfactorily completed. Sorry teaching old hands to suck eggs but there are others.....

Fired the Joker up ready for a run out when the weatherman forecasted dry afternoon, which never arrived! So had to take the Discovery. Did see a brave bloke out in a beautiful pale blue Healey, fantastic, made my day

Started the 'Christmas Present'.

I have for a long time struggled with a side loading knurling tool so decided it was time to create something better. - Like the one we had at the metalwork class in secondary school.

The Hemingway kit is all I could ask for.

It includes all the bits of metal you need plus detailed drawings. The other bit of the Christmas present was a couple of sets of knurles to fit once it is all done.

http://www.hemingwaykits.com/acatalog/Knurling_Tool.html

Cheers

Peter W

PS Yes I know I could have bought a ready made tool that would do the job, but the fun is in making it.

PPS The TR battery is on charge in case the weather brightens and all the salt is washed away.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Fixed a hole in the rocker cover with some tin solder which stopped an oil leak I'd be meaning to fix for several years - straightened the cover up a bit, cleaned and touched up plus a new gasket ....And replaced all the loathsome filament bulbs in the dash illumination with some excellent LED alternatives from www.bettercarlighting.co.uk...what a difference - the photos don't really do it justice but definitely worth the sore back, aching muscles and moderate swearing....

post-11466-0-73784600-1453983141_thumb.jpg

post-11466-0-38266400-1453983142_thumb.jpg

post-11466-0-76380700-1453983142_thumb.jpg

Edited by Penfold

After my tragic recent event my 3A will now lie-in-state from now on ~ I've lost all interest. :(

Tom. :(

Would the Good Lady of wanted you to make that Choice,I think not.

Give yourself a kick in the Arse and get out to the Garage and finish the Car,that's what she'd of wanted.

post-9473-0-87738700-1454018700_thumb.jpeg

I've been building a Cafe Racer this winter !

Based on a 1975 Honda CB360, so far have rebuilt the wheels and front end.

Next it's engine out for a clean and paint.

Really nice to have something small scale to work on for the winter.

Steve

After my tragic recent event my 3A will now lie-in-state from now on ~ I've lost all interest. :(

Tom. :(

Would the Good Lady of wanted you to make that Choice,I think not.

Give yourself a kick in the Arse and get out to the Garage and finish the Car,that's what she'd of wanted.

You're quite right Niall ~ she loved the TR ~ although it's going to be bloody hard not having her by my side.

I'll give it time.

Thanks for your reply.

Best regards ~

Tom.

I just can't imagine the pain that you're going through Tom, but Niall is right. Get out in that garage.

Dear Tom,

Dora,my wife has been in a care home for nearly three years,she has vascular dementia.

I see her most days but we do not have children and although I have an incredible bunch of friends,I'm sometimes quite lonely and it is a grieving process.

The only thing I have stopped doing is flying ,as I do not feel I have the temperament for it at the moment.

I'm now in my 73rd year but I still use our boat, look after a large garden, and play with the cars,also working part time as a consultant and a Trustee of a River Trust.

You obviously are terribly upset, but your wife would not want you to stop doing all the things you enjoyed.

So do it all for her!

Typing this with my face painted as a Gruffalo,don't even ask! :)

Cutting out and fitting a new battery tray panel today. Seems to be a common place for them to go. Just at the trial fit stage

Dont forget the captive nut for the dashboard stay in the left rear corner.

Stuart.