So what happening in your garage this weekend?

This weekend i will be mostly fitting to my as was US spec 1972

• Stage 2 unleaded head
  • Piper fast road cam
  • Phoenix big bore system
  • Fosseway ventilated 4 pot brakes
  • Hi torque starter
  • Uprated alternator
  • New coil and leads
  • Rechromed bumpers
  • Inertia belts
which is a lot for me so starting tomorrow morning, now all of the cleaning has been completed

wish me luck and see you at the Blyton Track day

Paul

Good luck getting that lot done !

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stuart-- Some better pics of the tubing straightener. The aluminum blocks are 7" x 1" x 0.5".  You should be able to closely estimate the other dimensions from those, though none are particularly

Morning all,  got the job finished gearbox out the only thing that got in the way was the flap on the bottom of the heater. Now got to clean all parts take off and tidy up things under the dash as the

Preparing my Ford Zodiac MK4 Executive for sale. Too may classic to look after!

Posted Images

Taking 6 for an early country blast with a mate

But today hopefully getting the newly built 4 engine running for first time

Graze

Damn n blast....was hoping to finish installing the H frame and seats. Check tighten a few bolts then the mot! BUT Mr BMW has decided to let go...... An almighty bang when I floored the accelerator a huge great cloud of black smoke and a sudden loss of power! Thought at first the turbo had let go but when I ripped all the covers off for investigation found the inlet manifold has burst. 565 quids worth!!

Think I'll go buy a Jag.

Hate that feeling. I had a week set aside to get the 6 back on the road about a year ago, and coming home the day defore the drive shaaft on the Discovery let go. The week was spent replacing that and the gearbox instead :-(

Making holes in a new plenum chamber for the s/c.

Back in the '50s grammar schools marginalised workshop subjects - mine had one woodworking lathe and no metalwork shop, and two hours per week.. So today, 55 years after a mis-spent schooling, was an adventure in a making holes in a 1/4 inch thick aluminium box section 3" square. On paper it bolts to a TR6 twin-carb manifold using the 8 carb stud tappings. So yesterday was spent with dykum ( another new experience) a scribe and a ruler, and a lens. I reckoned I was within 0.5mm of correct. Then the fun started. Centering a centre punch to 0.5mm is not so simple. But setting a 8mm drill dead centre on that - well, no-one ever taught me how to do that. The drill bit doesn't have a 'point', and its spiral... impossible. So I drilled 3mm holes centered with a lens. Then a stationary 8mm bit will bend ever so slighly when pressed onto the 3mm hole if off-centre. Very relieved that only two holes out of the 8 needed dremelling, And that they all lined up both ends of the manifold. The box slotted satisfyingly onto the manifold. . By contrast the hole I had dreaded, 2" diameter, was a doddle, using a hole saw in the pillar drill.

So altogether a new experience, if a bit late in life.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Making holes in a new plenum chamber for the s/c.

Back in the '50s grammar schools marginalised workshop subjects - mine had one woodworking lathe and no metalwork shop, and two hours per week.. So today, 55 years after a mis-spent schooling, was an adventure in a making holes in a 1/4 inch thick aluminium box section 3" square. On paper it bolts to a TR6 twin-carb manifold using the 8 carb stud tappings. So yesterday was spent with dykum ( another new experience) a scribe and a ruler, and a lens. I reckoned I was within 0.5mm of correct. Then the fun started. Centering a centre punch to 0.5mm is not so simple. But setting a 8mm drill dead centre on that - well, no-one ever taught me how to do that. The drill bit doesn't have a 'point', and its spiral... impossible. So I drilled 3mm holes centered with a lens. Then a stationary 8mm bit will bend ever so slighly when pressed onto the 3mm hole if off-centre. Very relieved that only two holes out of the 8 needed dremelling, And that they all lined up both ends of the manifold. The box slotted satisfyingly onto the manifold. . By contrast the hole I had dreaded, 2" diameter, was a doddle, using a hole saw in the pillar drill.

So altogether a new experience, if a bit late in life.

Peter

Never too old to learn something new, but a nervous afternoon I would think.

Never too old to learn something new, but a nervous afternoon I would think.

Daz, Yes, but its a steep learning curve. Tig welding aluminium next. And trying to avoild blowing holes in the carefully drilled box.

At least we have youtube guides...... which were never figured in our wildest dreams in my schooldays.

Peter

"Back in the '50s grammar schools marginalised workshop subjects - mine had one woodworking lathe and no metalwork shop, and two hours per week.."

Forty years ago, my Comprehensive chose to stream us either into woodwork/metalwork or into Latin. I drew a short straw and never did see the inside of the school workshop. My cack-handedness is undoubtedly the lasting effect.

So little surprise that my attempt to drill a hole in a 2mm stainless steel plate a couple of years ago, with precious little regard for safety, resulted in the drill bit binding on the plate as it penetrated, ripping it out of the grip and rotating it at considerable speed until I finally managed to overcome my shock and release the drill trigger. By which time, it had sliced through the back of my hand and severed the tendons on my index finger.

Being a Sunday, just before lunch, and with remarkably little blood to show for the gash, my wife decided that we would visit the surgery after eating. A little tricky to hold the knife (I'm left handed and had therefore attempted to remove the index finger of my right hand), but I somehow managed to slice up the meat with perseverence and gritted teeth.

It took surgery and three months of immobility to heal and a year to regain full movement, but I had an excellent surgeon and the only lasting drawback I recall was that my power tools were confiscated for nearly a year.

Paul

Edited by PaulAA
  • 2 months later...

Hopefully actually get my 6 OUT of the garage this weekend , between thunderstorms

Based on this afternoon's toils, I suggest both I and my garage will still be covered in, (and reeking of) carb and injector cleaner!!

all in search of constant spray patterns and running permanently on 6 cylinders!!

It's the little things........! :rolleyes:

This thread has been AWOL a few weeks... Can only assume the weather's been too good on the other side to be pottering about in the shed.

New Motolita steering wheel (leather/slots) to replace the old delaminating mountney that never quite matched the dash.

New plugs for the 5/6 sooty ones & that injector cleaner sounds a good idea.

Maybe even a clean & polish if the weather holds...

Edited by matttnz

Finally finishing the rewire on the 6...then fitting my new interior...fingers crossed the rain will hold off and I can get her out for a spin...if not, put the hood up and get her stepping sideways!

I think it has been interesting to follow this topic. However, now it seems to never-ending and the (my, perhaps) problem is, that I cannot unsubscribe from it. Please help!

PS.: Since the weather is brilliant today I shall do nothing in the garage. I'll take a spinn instead.

Manfred

attachicon.gifP5100021.JPGattachicon.gifP5100022.JPGattachicon.gifP5100024.JPGattachicon.gifP5100026.JPGattachicon.gifP5100023.JPG Polishing after getting my 5 back a couple of weeks ago after Stuart did a full restoration.

I saw your 5 at Stuarts when I dropped off my 3a. Stuart and Chris were just making final tweeks to make sure the engine was running sweetly. Very nice it was too - I'm sure you were well pleased with it.

Been having a few overheating probs recently, now largely cured, I think, by fitting an electric water pump, making the antifreeze more dilute, optimising the radiator airflow and other measures.

Still finding the oil temperature higher than desired, I looked at the position of the oil cooler.

It's below the water rad, behind the antiroll bar, and only slightly below the bottom edge of the front valance.

This is on the Vitesse - may be more room to mount elsewhere on a TR.

I previously made a 'splitter' to catch the air below the cooler, in the way that a front splitter catches it below an airdam, increasing the pressure locally.

But looking more closely, I could see that first the ARB obscured some of the cooler matrix, and then the lower edge of the valance was about halfway down the height of the cooler.

The number plate didn't help, either.

It needed to be more open to the airflow, but mounting it lower would make it even more vulnerable that it already was.

So, estimating how far from the rear edge of the valance a horizontal line would cross the valence, I drilled two 8 mm holes the distance apart of the cooler width, as markers and to relieve the twist in the GRP that I was going to make, and cut from the edge to the holes. Bending the flap upwards, keeping it in position with two alloy sheet gussets, resulted in a flat topped gap in the valance that pointed straight at the cooler. I then added an extension to the flap and gussets to keep the air from escaping around the sides of the cooler. The rear edges of the addition were protected with split tubing.

I also removed the number plate and added a stick-on one - Honest, it's on a vertical surface, Officer! At least the front bit is.

You can see the result in the pic. I admit, I went a bit overboard with the rivets on the gussets, but I wanted to spread the load on the twisted GRP as much as possible. Not planning another test session just for this, but I wonder - I've always done without an oil thermostat (KISS!), reckoning that racing will need the cooler on all the time. If this works then I might need one after all!

John

post-535-0-24074400-1441633841_thumb.jpg

Edited by john.r.davies

I finally removed the stupid looking rubber bumpers on the front and installed driving lights, The holes were already in the bumper so it was lights or a new expensive bumper. I really like the new look. Now to get the rubber off of the back. It looks like I will need a new one piece as the ' 74 export has a three piece bumper. I haven't checked, but I'm sure the holes won't line up for the one piece. File was too large to upload a photo. Sean

• 1 month later...

Last blast round the Cheshire countryside this afternoon to watch the Vulcan fly past, fantastic! Tucked the 6 up for winter, in the garage

sorry Manfred