Wanted.....gearbox cover inspection plates.

Hi,

My speedo has stopped working and having established the cable isn't rotating I need to have a look at the gearbox end.

Unfortunately there is no inspection access. Does anyone have both covers for speedo and gearbox oil please or know where I can buy some. I don't really fancy taking a hacksaw to it and trying to make my own.

Thanks

Jim

Morning Jim,How are you ?

I reckon i have a these two covers, are you going to Harrogate?

Cheers,

Conrad.

I also have the pleasure of replacing the speedo drive this weekend, but have been told you remove the seat and the y frame, then can just lift one side up to access the drive...

I assume your route you still need to cut out the inspection holes anyway, I may consider same option then for future oil changes, but presumably you still remove the tunnel this once and cut out using a fine jigsaw blade?

Rich

I also have the pleasure of replacing the speedo drive this weekend, but have been told you remove the seat and the y frame, then can just lift one side up to access the drive...

I assume your route you still need to cut out the inspection holes anyway, I may consider same option then for future oil changes, but presumably you still remove the tunnel this once and cut out using a fine jigsaw blade?

Rich

Hi Rich,

I was hoping to use the cover plates as templates and cut out using a dremel, that way just the seats need to come out and I can lift the carpet. Gearbox will need to come out next year to sort the sticky clutch but I was hoping to leave the cover up disturbed till then.

Sorry to highjack your thead Jim, I am also after these plate's if anyone has some for sale. Ideal time for me to mess about with this as my gearbox is out and being refurbished.

Hi Jim

On both my cars I cut the required holes to gain access. Solenoid and angle drive.

Then cut some plastic guttering I had spare, warmed it with the heat gun until it became soft and pliable, using my welding gloves mouldered it to shape trial and error over the hole, trimming and rewarming where nessesary. Then used some rubber to seal the gap, spire clips etc to fix in place. Making your own gives the benefit of cutting the hole as large or small as you require.

Works well and free.

Cheers Sean.