Testing lever shock absorbers

I have a TR4 which suffers from vibrations at various speeds. Large improvements have been gained from tightening the front shock absorber top bushes, carefully routing the exhaust through the chassis and taking excess material out of the hub caps which was put in during the rechroming. The wheels are very recently rebalanced.

The rear shockers may not be controlling the back axle enough as although both sides are roughly similar in stiffness I can move them by hand with reasonable ease. I am only after standard perfomancestuff. They do not show any signs of leakage. So 2 questions really.

1. Can I test them by hanging a weight on them and timing how long to complete to the stroke ? If so how much weight and time ?

2. Supposing they are sub standard can I change the oil to stiffen them ? If so what and where can I get it ?

John

John

If you find the need to replace them I just took a very serviceable set off my 4 and upgraded to the 25% stiffer ones. I am in Aus but they are yours for postage and a few beers next time I come to the UK

Graze

Testing them by pushing and pulling should give you an idea of what's going on. Gentle push probably fairly easy to move, fast push should resist noticeably.

Based on info on the web I used 20 sae motor bike fork oil in mine but upping the sae shouldn't be a worry if you can find out whether the additives affect the piston seals.

But the above advice to get them refurbished is probably hard to beat.

Edited by littlejim

Stevson Motors looks like the way forward, thank you for you advice. I'll get them off the car and take them down to see what they think.

I am also tempted by the fork oil. If it worked for you then the worst that can happen is the seals leak.

Thanks, John

Stevson Motors looks like the way forward, thank you for you advice. I'll get them off the car and take them down to see what they think.

John, little advice.

check the new dampers to see if the arms are correct fitted. had the experience with my new set of dampers from Stevson that one arm was not correct. The tapering was on the wrong side and the arm had a different angle, possibly arm of a different car. Not an isolated issue because there are more members here with the same experience.

They replaced without any problems, so service is fine, but it took some weeks.