B@@@@y starter motor

I'm now officially even more grumpy than normal having spent the last few hours trying to remove the starter motor from my 6. What a PITA of a job! I have the hi torque type and from reading through the rather un-encouraging threads that the search function brings up I think that tomorrow is going to be sent removing the gearbox tunnel so that I can get at the top nut. From the threads I'm guessing that once I eventually get the thing out I'll find the internals corroded as turning the key results in lots of current draw but no turning of the motor. I suspect that looking at the space available I'll be taking the steering apart as well. Not quite what I had in mind when I arrived back in the UK for my holidays!

Hi Iain

I had this problem, but I turned the top bolt (it should be a fixed stud) of the starter motor so that it faces towards the gearbox cover. Then I made a hole approx 2 inches diam, in the gearbox cover, but adjusted the size to fit a suitable sized grommet. Mine is - approx 4 inches in front of the H frame and 4 inches from the floor. Once done, then it's fairly easy to just lift the carpet back off the cover a little and then do up / undo the nut + take off the washer etc, I use an extension and a little grease to hold the nut/washer in place. To take the washer off use a small pce of blue tack. Then of course undo the bottom nut/bolt from under the car.

Then to extract, I have to take my air box off and wiggle a little under the steering column/adjacent the brake servo. I don't have enough space to take out from the bottom, due to the manifold getting the way. Apart from that it's fairly easy and takes about 30 mins.

Hope that helps

Best

Bill

Hi Iain,

Don't panic (just yet).

Get back under the car with a 9/16 deep socket, universal joint, 12" long extension and your ratchet.

You should be able to get your fingers up to touch the nut with a finger. Having found it, now visualize where it is.

Pop the socket up there and you will find the socket will find the nut and bobs your uncle.

If you can't visualize the nut your bu99ered.

If the starter is not working take it to an auto-electrician. The rebuild will be cheaper than a new one and will last longer.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Have just done this. Not as bad as all that.

Remove dash support.

Undo the tunnel. You should be able to pull the tunnel back enough to get to the nut.

Cheers Tim

Thanks chaps it seems then that there may be light at the end of the tunnel (sorry). I shall attempt the Zen visualisation of the nut technique tomorrow and if that fails then it will have to be the tunnel route. My next door but one neighbour is a vicar who in an earlier life used to prepare and rally a mk1 Cortina. Being a nice and understanding chap he has already granted me advance absolution for any utterances emanating from my garage over the next few days.

post-2275-0-04901800-1405370835_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Iain Rollo

Thanks chaps it seems then that there may be light at the end of the tunnel (sorry). I shall attempt the Zen visualisation of the nut technique tomorrow and if that fails then it will have to be the tunnel route. My next door but one neighbour is a vicar who in an earlier life used to prepare and rally a mk1 Cortina. Being a nice and understanding chap he has already granted me advance absolution for any utterances emanating from my garage over the next few days.

If there is room use a nut splitter .

No wonder....it's hidden by the Trumpet Section ! :rolleyes:

Ian

If you can get to a Machine Mart you will find one of these invaluable to aid in getting the top nut undone as suggested by Roger H .

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/pro136-38in-flexible-extension-bar?da=1&TC=SRC-flexible

The socket you use also needs to be as thin-walled as possible.

Have fun

Regards

Tim

When my TR5 was nearly lost in the floods of 2007 when swimming up to Malvern and then recovering back home,all things started to show up,one of them was the Hi Torque starter.I removed this without taking the tunnel off.

Yes it was a pain but can be done.I pulled the starter apart and cleaned it up then put it back.It has worked faultlessly to date. They are tough old things and derived from Nissans I think.

Regards Harry

If so many of you are having to remove/refit your hi-torque starters, it rather begs the question "Are they any better than the original Lucas unit?"

One would have expected the more modern design to outlive the rest of the car.

Jerry

I would tend to agree with that Jerry. I went with the Hi torque when the engine was rebuilt as it now displaces 2.7ltrs and has considerably more compression than stock. The life of the unit is very disappointing as it's only six years old and unlike Harry I've never tried to enrol my car in the submarine service. Right it's now time for a quick trip to mating mart to pick up a wobbly extension. Then into the garage for some advanced cursing practice. Thanks to Tom for pictures of his gearbox tunnel I may look to do similar should I have to go in via that route.

If so many of you are having to remove/refit your hi-torque starters, it rather begs the question "Are they any better than the original Lucas unit?"

One would have expected the more modern design to outlive the rest of the car.

Jerry

Jerry

Yep you would think so but!!! I would never fit another.

Well much as it pains me to admit defeat that bloody top bolt has beaten me! So the car is going of to a local man that can on Monday. With only two weeks in the country before Christmas I really don't fancy spending the entire time stripping out and replacing half the interior. All made even worse by the perfect TR,ing weather grrrr!!! Oh well hopefully there will be some sunshine next year to get a few miles in. Your's Mr Grumpy of Louth.

He did but I am now using an even more local man. It a matter of economics ;) And maybe half the interior is a bit of an exaggeration but if I spend most of the only two weeks we have in the country between now and Christmas in the garage I may just end up single again. If you see what I mean.

One of the MOT men a the local station used to work rebuilding starters and apparently the terminals on these get minor corrosion which he cleaned up in no time when mine played up.

I guess the location on a 6 is a bit more exposed to wet and heat than perhaps on a modern with an under body tray to keep it out of the splashes and probably not snuggled up to the exhaust!