Engine/Gearbox Refurb Recommendations & Prices

Hi

I need to have my gearbox overhauled as I have drained the oil out of the gearbox and found a needle roller, a couple of bits of small metal that resemble a needle roller bearing casing, I also drained the overdrive and there was no bits coming out of that.

I have several questions to ask and I live in Poole, Dorset.

1. Recommendations on where to send the gearbox.
  2. What cost am I looking at.
  3. Whilst I have to take the gearbox out would it pay to have the engine out as well and get that overhauled as it’s original on 78,000 miles with lowish oil pressure when hot. The head has just been done, converted to unleaded, new valves etc. and running very smooth.
  4. Recommendations on where to send the engine.
  5. What cost am I looking at.

If you have any contact details for above, recommendations and the kind of money I am likely to pay, I would very much appreciate your comments and experience’s.

I can get the gearbox and or enginge out myself so it would be handy to have someone local but not essential so I can drop it off to them.

I can't fault Mike Papworth - mikepapworth1@btopenworld.com

He's not a big concern, but he knows gearboxes, and O/drives. Downside, he's in Coventry, but Triumph 'box experts aren't common.

It's a while since he did mine, but £400?

JOhn

What about Eric Mobley, the Glavon TR technical expert, his business near Malmsbury, almost exclusively he does TRs and he's extremely good at them. What better than to go to a Club member. There's Stuart too, he was amazingly helpful to me when I did mine, but he's a bit further from you.

Good insight Alex, well done.

Hi Mick Papworth Did my Tr6 gear box and overdrive He is the Best and not too expensive What price do you put on Quality

Hi Kevo,

may I suggest you have a word with Matt, who went down that road very successfully last year and isn't so far from you

link - http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/user/9672-matt/

he'll be able to give you a consumer viewpoint !

Cheers

Alec

Thanks Alec

Matt contacted me yesterday and I shall be ringing him shortly for a chat ;).

Looks like I should of grabbed one of your clutches. I was a bit slow there :wacko:.