Front Hub Felt Seal - To trim or not to trim

Guys

New front wheel bearings and inner felt seals going in tomorrow on my 6.

The felt seals have been in soak in engine oil for a few months but my question to the cognoscenti is; the seals we are being supplied are very thick, should they be trimmed before fitting or just let them compress over time with regular checks to take up the slack created on the compression?

As ever, thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Regards

Tim

Tim

I fitted mine about a month ago and have just nipped them up a couple of times since

Seemed like the right way to do it

Graze

Hi Tim,

there was an in depth thread about this a few months ago.

It appears that the felt seal supplier is being a wee bit over generous with the fluffy stuff.

I believe the general opinion was to trim the seal back to something slightly thicker than what your old one is at present.

Roger

Graze - Thanks, That seems logical but they are very thick.

Roger - Yes, I thought there was a thread but I could not find it on search, I also think it was perchance alot of months, not a few!!!

I think I will try compressing with fingers the very soaked felts and see how near they come down to the metal carrier they sit in. If a squeezed felt is getting close to the carrier depth then I suppose I have answered my own query. Off to the garage to see.

Regards

Tim