Barn Find "TR7 Special Edition/Europe Spec.

Hello everybody,

During a crusade on the internet, always on the lookout for a lost TR7 , I have stumbled on a very special car.

The idea was to get a reasonable priced TR7 (DHC) as a donor for my TR7 and TR8.

But instead i arrived at home with a TR7 Special Edition/European Spec. in Maraschino Black with grey seat trim, being one of the 297 cars ever build for the European Market in this livery. (Vin: TPADJ8AA402298)

Exept for the engine swap (they put in a Sprint engine) the car is completely genuine.

This was, off course, not what I exepted to find.(still I am very Happy )

According to my feeling , this car is much to special to break down in to pieces, But again, my question is, to everyone out there.

Should I Keep the car (to break it up) ? our should I sell it to another TR7 enthousiast (for a complete overhaul). In this case: What is the value for a car like this?.

All ideas are welcome. (Car is in Flanders, Belgium)

Would be a great shame to break. Best you restore it or find a good home for it.

I take it is a LHD car similar to the black US spiders?

Personally I would like a genuine black FHC but they were only produced with a horrible hole in the roof panel!

Good luck.

David

What an interesting find. The VIN suggests a Solihull built 1980 model year car, although the actual chassis number is supposed to have been 1981 model year car. Ah well, we all know how good BL were at keeping records.

I do agree that it would be a great shame to break the car, there cannot be many of those Special Edition cars left. Is the trim in decent condition? If you don't want to restore it yourself, then I would hope you could find an enthusiast to take it on. As to what it is worth, I have no idea about TR7 values in Europe, & I fear it would have limited appeal in the UK being a LHD car. The Sprint engine would certainly attract interest as they are getting harder to find in good condition.

Would be a great shame to break. Best you restore it or find a good home for it.

I take it is a LHD car similar to the black US spiders?

Personally I would like a genuine black FHC but they were only produced with a horrible hole in the roof panel!

Good luck.

David

Hello David,

My idea, a shame to break up a special car like this. It is a LHD and therefore not very attractif for the UK Market!!

PS/ if you are looking for a FHC, the cars that are for sale on the Belgian Second hand Market are mostly FHC (early models '76-'79)

And quit overpriced , but for looking around there is no charge. If you need any help ? I can keep one eye open. greets Luc M.

What an interesting find. The VIN suggests a Solihull built 1980 model year car, although the actual chassis number is supposed to have been 1981 model year car. Ah well, we all know how good BL were at keeping records.

I do agree that it would be a great shame to break the car, there cannot be many of those Special Edition cars left. Is the trim in decent condition? If you don't want to restore it yourself, then I would hope you could find an enthusiast to take it on. As to what it is worth, I have no idea about TR7 values in Europe, & I fear it would have limited appeal in the UK being a LHD car. The Sprint engine would certainly attract interest as they are getting harder to find in good condition.

Hello Anthony,

The car is in fact a LHD , the trim is after all over 30 years old, and it looks like the car has suffered a lot of (ultraviolet light) sunshine, therefore the trim (especially seats will need a full resto. The Sprint engine needs a bit of work (points and new Sparks and a bit of boggling with the carbs) but in working order.

Thanks for your intrest. Greets Luc M

• 2 weeks later...