child seat/belt in rear?

Guest aray

Guest aray
HELP. We have had a TR6 for 5 years and have managed to use it even in snow, when heavily pregnant and then with the baby in the car! Child number one loves going out in the car with the top down. We now have child number 2 and face selling the car to get a boring sensible one. Please can anyone tell me if it is possible/legal and insurable to have a child in the back either with a belt/racing harness or special seat? My husband thinks it is not possible but we would rather not sell the car. I seem to remember years ago before having children seeing an article in the TR magazine about fitting a child seat. The baby is OK in the front and the older child is aged 4. I would appreciate any advice/ideas. The car is a 1968 150bhp model. Thanks in hope.

People have posted on this point before.  I think it is a grey area.  I definitely have a spare buckle that went across the rear parcel shelf to allow a child seat.  I took it out when installing inertia seat belts and roll bar.  Although there has been much debate as to whether they are legal.  I would use the search option and examine previous posts.

Regards

Matt

Triumph marketed an "occasional rear seat" for the 4's which fits on the rear shelf. As this also fits the 6 I presumed it was OK, by inference to use the car with rear passengers. I fitted 2 lap belts anchored to the boot floor. Now they are 12 & 9 they've outgrown the 6 & added a Stag to the collection!

IMHO as there is no seat fitted to the rear of the TR 6 and their are no anchorage points for 'rear seat belts'  I think it would be a dangerous course of action to pursue. If you examine the fitting instructions for baby seats or child harnesses it does give clear instruction as to the positioning of the various straps and the angles that they need to be fitted at. To try and overcome this problem when fitting harnesses and seats to hatchback cars in the 70's & 80's Britax brought out a mounting bar that was adjustable width ways so that it could be used to mount the retraints on once it had been securely located to selected mounting points. I accept that the TR is not a hatch back but the problem is indeed similar. I do sympathise I had a similar problem when we had our 1st and was running, dare I say, a BGT at the time (it was 23 years ago) but with the B the problem was a little easier to solve. You could do as Andy M suggests and go for a Stag. Which ever course of action you choose please don't be tempted to carry out untested modifications.

Victor 1155

Guest simonwtaylor

I have been toying with an interesting soultion to this problem for my six.

Iso-fix! Our child seat has 2 claws at the back which anchor to a single round bar between the seat back and squab in the back of the wifes car. This system is  being adopted by new car manufacturers as we speak. The purpose of this design is to eliminate the accidents caused by incorrect fitting of car seats using existing belts, and also to provide a fixed solid anchorage to the vehicle.

In theory, it should be possible to bend up a piece of 6mm rod into a 'U' section and thread each end,thus allowing the unit to be secured to the body work (using the appropriate sized washers, to eliminate 'tear-through'). The child seat could then be inserted and removed in seconds, safe in the knowledge that high quality anchorage points were in-play.

All theory, but I might give it a crack this summer.

Guest stevephillips

Simon

As a recent new dad (2 1/2 years ago) I would be extremely interested in the results that you get with the ISO-fix.  In fact do you have any further information on the seat as I may try it myself over the summer and post the results as I really want my Boy to enjoy the pleasures of the back of a TR whilst he is still small enough to fit.  The ball and chain will be more happy too if it is a secure as you say.

May and model would help, I can then doe some research.

Regards

Steve

PS (your car has the same name as mine and probably 90% of the rest of us !!)

Guest simonwtaylor

Steve,

the car seat was purchased from Halfords for about 100 Quid (I've since seen them at half this price) It's made by Britax and has the capability to be fixed to non Isofix cars as well. Our car is a Peugeot 307. ISO as I'm sure you know is an international standard, and so all manufacturers will be adopting it. Your Euro box may be fitted with this system already. Try this link for more info.

http://www.theaa.com/allabou....=safety

Guest peter franklin

I suggest the first thing you do is check with your insurance company. If you're not covered, then it's a non-starter.

Many years ago, I fitted a child seat in my 6, after checking with my insurance broker (Flint - as was), who OK'd it. I used a very basic plastic shell type seat which was anchored with a 4 point fixing. In fact, i've still got the anchor points bolted to the car as they are quite unobtrusive. From what i recall, the set up worked well for my child up to the age of about 2 -3. There was more room with the hood up, and it helped to have the front seat as far forward as possible to give the child kicking room. I can't imagine a child older than 3 being seated in the back, unless a child seat is not used.

regards

Peter

Guest Guinness

Iam currently fitting a surrey frame to my TR6, for the very same reason...make it family freindly...

When done...should be this week, I also need to fit belts, Iam going for the lap belt from Halfords..about £15 each set..

In the 70’s & 80’s I regularly carried a 3rd person sideways in the back without any restraint & without any problems from plod. I am also aware that, in the past, fitting child seats/restraints was a regular DIY mod. However, these modern times have insurance companies of a very different breed; they are very fussy about modifications & design compliance - fitting a set of alloy wheels is classed as a modification if your particular model did not have them fitted as standard!

The 6 was never designed to carry passengers in the back, regardless of their size. It matters not how professional the installation is, your insurer will not cover you if you don’t tell him about the modification & if you do you may find that the premium will be so high it will look like a lottery win! Before you do anything you must check out your insurer’s view of what you are proposing otherwise you could find your insurer will decline to meet your claim in the event of an accident.

• 1 year later...
Guest Lynne & Jamie
<font color='#0000FF'>I have been toying with an interesting soultion to this problem for my six.

Iso-fix! Our child seat has 2 claws at the back which anchor to a single round bar between the seat back and squab in the back of the wifes car. This system is  being adopted by new car manufacturers as we speak. The purpose of this design is to eliminate the accidents caused by incorrect fitting of car seats using existing belts, and also to provide a fixed solid anchorage to the vehicle.

In theory, it should be possible to bend up a piece of 6mm rod into a 'U' section and thread each end,thus allowing the unit to be secured to the body work (using the appropriate sized washers, to eliminate 'tear-through'). The child seat could then be inserted and removed in seconds, safe in the knowledge that high quality anchorage points were in-play.

All theory, but I might give it a crack this summer.</font>

<font color='#0000FF'>I have been toying with an interesting soultion to this problem for my six.

All theory, but I might give it a crack this summer.</font>

A small baby seat (Old Britax hardboard type) is good at first, then the occasional rear seat with lap belts achored to the chassis or reinforced boot floor.

After that - add a Stag to the collection (or should I say stable)!