Lights not working.....help please

So the story goes, my 1971 TR6 hasn't been used since IWE last year, its had the engine bay painted and since then all the side lights including number plate dont work, nor do dipped beam, main beam work when flashed on the column and the indicators work fine. Iv check all connections and they look ok altho I'm just hoping they didn't put a wire back in the wrong slot or something....any one got a wiring diagram or any clues on where to begin looking?...fuses are all ok, I'm not the best with electrics so bear with me, thanks in advance!

Dear sean 77...start at the fuse box on one of the fuses you,ll see 2 red wires,, on the opp.side there will be some red and green wires ,so thats the correct feed.. the red cables are the supply to all the lights make sure cables are on the fuse box secure ,,if ok go under the dash and wiggle the loom with the light switch on ,,with luck you,ll probably find loose or dodgy bullet connection.. ihad the same prob.. ihave a cd with the complete brown repair manual on it if you so wish get back on here to let us know how you get on bill aylesbury duck

If it was working when they took it apart,you want it back working!

Let them fix it as they broke it!

if you go fiddling with things you dont know about you could cause a short and burn something out!

Hopefully not the whole loom or at worst the car!

Edited by PILKIE

Interesting that the dipped beams aren't working as they're fed directly from the lighting switch, not via the fuse feeding the sidelights. That seems to suggest a problem at the lighting switch, but that wouldn't have been disturbed by an engine bay refurb. Have a look for the brown/blue wire coming down the steering column from the light switch. It should go into a bullet connector with a brown/white wire going to the ammeter which is where the lighting supply comes from.

Edited by peejay4A

Interesting that the dipped beams aren't working as they're fed directly from the lighting switch, not via the fuse feeding the sidelights. That seems to suggest a problem at the lighting switch, but that wouldn't have been disturbed by an engine bay refurb. Have a look for the brown/blue wire coming down the steering column from the light switch. It should go into a bullet connector with a brown/white wire going to the ammeter which is where the lighting supply comes from.

That is the first culprit I eliminate when the lights stop working and I made a note of it in my manual.

Berry

Sounds very similar to a problem I had a few years ago when I had to rush home from a club meeting before it got too dark; good job there was a dark wooded section to go through on the way. The fault was a bad earth, hidden in the middle of the front pannel just in the middle of the loom where it crosses the front of the car. Hidden, if I remember, by the radiator, it was a spade connector to a tab on the bodywork.

Good luck!