I want to get some inertia reel Securon seat belts for my 62 TR4. Ive searched the forum but cant find the answer.

The Securon website says I need 514/15 belts, Moss list 500/30 and some listed on ebay for the 4 are something else.

I understand the 15 or 30 bit refer to the length in cm of the clasp - so I assume I need 30? Which makes me doubt the Securon site. Also I assume the reel goes on the wheelarch? Not the bottom of the 'b' post?

Last but not least is Ive got a red interior. Should I get red or black? My gut feeling is the red will look too bright but Ive never seen any fitted.

Thanks

Nick

500/30`s are pretty much standard fit for all TR`s The reel will need to go on the rear arch above the parcel shelf.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart but the 500/30 is a 4 point belt and I cant see where you can fit the 'pillar loop' as described by Securons website on a TR4. http://www.securon.co.uk/seatbelts_layouts.htm

Whereas the 514/30 is how I imagined it to fit. ie 3 point with the retractor on the wheelarch as you described.

I'm confused :unsure:

The pillar loop goes into the seat belt fixing which is captive in the top of the wheel arch (at least on my 4A it is). You need to make a new hole in the wheel arch to mount the belt retractor just by the parcel shelf. This is why I stuck with static belts. I don't think you can mount the 514 on the existing wheel arch mounting and get the right angle on the belt for it to work properly.

Edited by peejay4A

The main problem with the 514 is space as the extra mechanism to provide the ability to have the reels facing in any direction is quite bulky. They also arent handed so one side will fit easier than the other.

Stuart.

photo1609_zps21d95e13.jpg

photo1610_zpsb48125fa.jpg

Hi Nick,

why do you want these retractable things.

Get a decent static belt and feel it holding you securely. There is nothing in a TR that is far away.

Roger

I want to avoid the static belts if I can.

How do you knock out the rough shag from your pipe without leaning forward to your centrally placed ashtray?

Speaking from many years experience, the ash tray in a TR4 and 4a is not large enough to knock out your pipe.

Be it a Meerschaum or a nice slim cherry wood.

Edited by SuzanneH

Surely, with a static belt, it is very difficult, if not impossible, to grab the handbrake in a TR2/3/4?

Fortunately, the Competition Dept moved the handbrake onto the transmission tunnel on the Works' TR4 Rally cars - it wasn't because of this difficulty, but because the steel sheet welded onto the underneath of the chassis precluded access to the underside of the handbrake lever.

Incidentally, as I mentioned in the Basic Maintenance Pull-Out in TR Action 273, Revington can supply a kit to shift the handbrake lever to the prop. shaft tunnel in the TR2/3/4 - useful for those with fixed belts.

Ian Cornish

So.......if the 514 isnt ideal and the 500 has too many mounting points for the TR4 what are you guys using?? Static only?

Its not difficult to put the extra mounting in to fit the 500 series.

Stuart.

Well done Dave you beat me to it.

Stuart.

Stuart

Only because I looked at it a few days ago.

I think that pic is a 500/30.

When fitting a 514/30 do you fit the retractor on top of the wheel arch where the guide is on the picture?

Dave

Edited by D Murton

It would seem that although the picture is that of the 514 the 500 would fit exactly the same.

It's just that the 514 has the adjustable angle enabling it to be correctly mounted on the top of the wheelarch, as per MGB's I think.

Stuart, do you not recommend the 514 because it is too bulky for the top of the wheelarch?

Nick

Stuart

Only because I looked at it a few days ago.

I think that pic is a 500/30.

When fitting a 514/30 do you fit the retractor on top of the wheel arch where the guide is on the picture?

Dave

I think I got that the wrong way round. Now edited.

Dave

Stuart, do you not recommend the 514 because it is too bulky for the top of the wheelarch?

Nick

Essentially yes because they arent handed then one side fits OK but the other doesnt. With most TR`s with the exception of hardtop models the reel even if you use the 500 type (which wont work there anyway due to the angle) when fitted on top of the arch tends to interfere with the hood frame in its folded position and if you try fitting the reel at the base of the "B" post or wheelarch then it interferes with the seat sliding range.So best place to fit the reel is on the lower part of the arch above the parcel shelf.

Stuart.

Manvers Triumph fitted 500/30 to my '65 4A. The retractor is fitted to the wheel arch just above and in line with the front of the parcel shelf. The 'pillar loop' is mounted where the original static belts were mounted (on the curve of the wheel arch directly above where the retractor is now. The belts are a little long, so I fitted a hook to the surrey frame to hang the 'tongue' out of the way of the door openings.