Replacing throttle bodies

I was lucky enough to pick up a very serviceable set of throttle bodies (thanks Tom) refurbed and ready to install.

Any tips on the install, gasket choice, gasket goo etc greatly appreciated

It looks simple o I'm guessing there are hidden complications!

Graze

Edited by Graze

Graze,

I also used the standard manifold gasket without any sealant. As you mention the throttle bodies have been reconditioned I would also suggest you consider the following when re-fitting:

1) Ensure all of the dowel pins are present

2) Ensure the bodies are aligned as best you can. I used a steel rule as there is an element of adjustment available.

3) Should the original throttle linkage be worn or you are struggling to set the butterflies then consider an upgraded type. I went for an under-slung linkage from Prestige and have been delighted with the results. This linkage provides you with the ability to adjust each body individually.

4) You may find the idle speed is a little high even with the bleed valve fully closed. This improves over time as the carbon builds up in the refurbished body giving you the ability to adjust via the bleed valve.

5) Usual procedures regarding bleeding of injectors should be followed upon re-assembly if required.

I hope these thoughts may be helpful

Best Regards, Peter

Hi Graze,

Following on from Peter's comments regarding alignment. After fitting the throttle bodies, have a look down them and check the alignment with the cylinder head ports (use a mirror). I have yet to see a throttle body hole line up correctly. You can adjust the throttle body by enlarging the hole where the bottom split pin is a small amount which will give a little movability or you can adjust the cylinder head ports to match. This will actually rob you of some HP if not aligned and affects the airflow.

Cheers

Tony

Edit:

It will also pay you check that the holes in the gasket between line up correctly as these tend to be off sometimes.

Edited by Tony Millward

Peter

Good tips, thanks. Do you have a link to Prestige for the linkages?

Tony

Thanks for the tip re the mirror

Graze

It's recommended that the bodies are installed using a 'special tool' alignment jig. See diagram.

I made my own from a length of stout, 1/4" angle iron. I laid it along the topside (not below as the OE jig) of the bodies before I took them off the head, made the cut-outs and marked it for the pegs that register in the holes in the bodies. I made the hoels slightly oversize, to allow for error, then put bolts in the angle iron holes and assembled them to the bodies. I then secured the bolts in the holes with Araldite, clamped it all up and left it to set.

See the pics.

post-535-0-59523700-1403729373_thumb.jpg

John

Edited by john.r.davies