Hi All,

I'm delighted to report that, in the main, Percy is running well at the moment. Starts first time, ticks over at 800 RPM & pulls strongly through the gears....with one small exception.

On gentle acceleration, I've noticed that the engine seems to hit a flat spot around 2000 RPM - literally, from 1900 to 2100. Up to and beyond those parameters it pulls like a train. I've checked the injectors & they all have a good pulse & good spray pattern. The fuel filter is new & the pre-filter is clean. It's running on high octane unleaded and the choke seems to be opening & closing properly. It has a K&N air filter which was cleaned very recently and has Lumenition electronic ignition.

The issue seems to be there in all gears but is more noticeable in higher gears, as you might expect.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Steve

Ignition advance issue perhaps?

What's the state of the distributor?

Steve

Hmmm......ignition advance, spark timing....more new skills to learn. Will report back soon! ;-)

Steve

Steve,

This might help if you are starting from scratch:

https://sites.google.com/site/fifersrelianthintsandtips/ignition/ignition-timing

Its for a Reliant but the principlesare the same.

That'll set the gap and the static timing. You need a strobe lamp to check the advance.

Actually theres a quick way - if the gap is OK: free the diy clamp just enough until you can turn it a few mm to and fro and turn it on tickover until you get the fastest rpm. Retard it a bit ( ie move it anticlockwise ) if it pinks on acceleration when driving.

Peter

Peter - thank you. I have followed your instructions but am now having a problem locking the disy back in place. The clamp appears to be tight but the disy rotates with gentle pressure. I've secured it in the desired position with a good old cable tie and can confirm that the problem seems to have been resolved. However, when I give it a bootful of throttle the disy moves and all hell breaks loose!!!

Is there a knack to tightening the clamp properly?

Steve

The clamp is probably distorted. It can happen quite easily if it's been over tightened in the past. To fix it the distributor has to come off then the clamp plate can come off. Dress it flat with a hammer and block and all will be well. The distributor only needs to be nipped up.

Done and Done!!

Thanks Peejay

Now, I'm sure I read somewhere that the car needs to be run for at least 3 hours on a variety of roads after adjusting the ignition.....I wonder if the wife will buy that??

:rolleyes:

Done and Done!!

Thanks Peejay

Now, I'm sure I read somewhere that the car needs to be run for at least 3 hours on a variety of roads after adjusting the ignition.....I wonder if the wife will buy that??

:rolleyes:

An hour a day keeps the PI happy - it will never go wrong.

Peter