Advice on value of part complete TR4 project please

Hi Caroline, I am restoring a TR4 and I would be interested in this project. If you still have the car by the 5th July I would like to view it. Worse case is I could give you some advice.

But as has been stated previously if you advertise in the Register Classifieds you will at least eliminate the chancers and the dreamers.

Good Luck

Ron

Thanks for your interest Ron.

We are not ready yet to list it on eBay so there is a good chance it may still be available on that date. The trouble with advertising in the classifieds is having to set a price. With opinions here varying from 5-15 thousand, of course a lot depends on the condition of the car and the standard of the work done. While I would love to see the car sell to a genuine enthusiast my main aim is to reach the best possible price for my parents. Sadly even if it ends up split and sold for parts.

If only there were a way of auctioning away from eBay just to genuine potential buyers. Would it be possible to offer the car available for viewing and says something like best offers to be received by x date? I have assumed eBay would get us the best price due to a far wider audience of potential buyers. This seems to be what my dad wants to do.

I will be taking lots of photos ready to advertise the car for sale. If you would like me to email them to you for a sneak preview before it is advertised I would be happy to do this if you could let me know your email address.

Caroline

P.s. I hope I am not breaking any forum rules by offering to do this. If I am please let me know and I will edit my post.

Ron you can only Edit it yourself,bottom Right hand side of your Post,click on the edit Button and delete the unwanted text,then go to the bottom and click Submit Modified Post.

Edited by TR NIALL

Hi, Just been looking at the various comments and I agree with having a word with the local TR guys but I would also mention that I am currently recommissioning a long stored TR4A and have done quite a bit of research. I assume you have the engine (not shown in the pics I saw). You may be interested in the following quotes I have had recently.

To sand blast, respray and refit the entire body would be £7,000 (together with refitting a wiring loom and etc £8,500). You are selling a new a new leather interior including door panels etc dash this is circa £5,500 from Skinners in Cirencester so if you are including this in a sale you should add this cost to your basic £7k for the car (ie a £12K starting price). I wonder if the engine and gearbox has had work done by your Dad? If someone spends the £9,500 to have the body sand blasted sprayed and put back on the chassis, then with the new leather seats and a fresh MOT it would be worth over £20K for not much outlay so in my opinion don't be too hasty selling it off cheaply, these are sought after classics.

Best of luck

...£5,500 from Skinners in Cirencester...

Seriously? This isn't a typo? If not: wow! I wouldn't have expected that.

Back on topic: in line with Alec's comment: it's not easy to determine a price when your not familiar with the (UK) market, like me - from Holland. So, I will not comment on that. I think that the forumites who suggested a 'on forum sale' are right. Most of us can appriciate a proper restoration, the work involved, the costs etc. On eBay you'll get tyre-kickers coming at your door with all sorts of suggestions. And, since you're not too familiar with the 'ins-and-outs' of a TR, it's not easy to sell a nice specimen like your dad's for a proper price.

Stay on the forum.

Menno

Mennonite

For what it's worth a full leather interior for my TR6 from John Skinner was around £2,500 six months ago, I got it fitted locally for $2,000 Aus (about £1,000)

Graze

Mennonite

...I got it fitted locally for $2,000 Aus (about £1,000)

Graze

Yes, that's what I had in mind, compared with what I paid a few years back.

Menno

(And indeed, 'mennonite' has to do with my first name. The Mennonites in the US were once living in Holland (Friesland) around 1540; Menno Simonsz was their spiritual leader. They emigrated to the USA because their freedom of religion was under thread, back then. My name, Menno, is a common name in Friesland. In other parts it's not so common.

M.)

Edited by Menno van Rij 2

Sorry Menno that was the auto correct taking over and I didn't notice

My apology

Graze

Back on topic: in line with Alec's comment: it's not easy to determine a price when your not familiar with the (UK) market, like me - from Holland.

It doesn't matter where you are, classic cars is a well established/balanced global market. Purchase, parts and restoration costs are roughly the same globally. US exports benefited from a crisis momentum on purchase for the past 5 years which is now gone. A good ground-up restored TR4/A goes at 20K GBP, 25K EUR, 33K USD, 35K AUD, 100K MYR, etc....with the usual +/- 10% adjustment depending on the features and quality of the restoration. In an era of global advertisements with cars, parts and people easily traveling across the globe there's nothing soooo specific to the UK market as compared to the rest of the world. A bit trivial I thought.

Edited by Geko

Sorry Menno that was the auto correct taking over and I didn't notice

My apology

Graze

:lol::lol: Don't apologise! It's nice to know that my name is autocorrected into something historical significance! :lol::lol:

Back on topic: I visited the bi-annual Concours d'Elegance on the Royal Palace' forecourt (5 mins. from my house). There were some cars for sale. One thing I noticed: the asking prices of cars - not even exotic ones are through the roof compared with two years ago.

Menno

Edited by Menno van Rij 2
  • 8 months later...

Hello are you still there? I have re-read this post strem again and as someone who is restoring a TR I would be so interested in knowing the price you achieved?

Charles

Thanks, Oh I dont intend selling my lovely car its just that I bought it for £10,000 and it had had a ground up rebuild like yours but the seller hadnt touched it for best part of 15 years and the paintwork was terrible. I am spending circa £5,000 having the panels removed, blasted and re-painted after which I will re-do the interior dashboard etc (another £3000). As this is where your dads car is today I was wondering what he had sold it for I am guessing in todays market that to finish yours would be around £3000 and that the car would be worth min. £17k and nearer to £23k. I had offers for mine with the bad paint for £11,000 so dont let you dad sell too low

If I might make a suggestion why not offer a competant TR register member who has time on their hands £3,000 to re-assemble the car and have the paint finished to a good standard as the panels are already prepared shouldn't cost more than another £2,000 then sell it in classic car use season June to August. You could advertise for someone on the site.

Good luck

Charles

PS If i hadn't bought mine I would have tried to buy yours with all the work done for £12K ......

I meant with all the work your Dad had done doh!