Advice on value of part complete TR4 project please

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some advice on how to value a part completed TR4 project that belongs to my dad.

I have lots of info about the car but as I know nothing about cars please bear with me if I do not always use the correct terms. Dad has got a fair way through a complete body off restoration but he has decided that it would be best to pass the car on to someone who will make the final push to finish the project.

The car is a 1962 TR4 with original log book, comes with manuals and book of part numbers.

Here is a break down of the work he has done. All infomation should be correct but I add the caveat that I may have missed bits out or got bits wrong.

Chassis is done and body has 95% new panels (floor pans, cills, door pillars, boot, wheel arches, inner and outer wings all new not patched up)
Body is currently off the chassis
Suspension done
Axle done
Brakes done
Body is 80% sprayed (two wings & underneath not sprayed but are primed and undercoated)
Seats have been resprung, re-upholstered and covered in cream leather with red piping, plus matching leather door panels etc.
New carpet
Car interior restored but not assembled
Gearbox with over drive we think is all ok.
Engine has been cleaned and painted. All electrics starting motor, dynamo etc. have been reconditioned by an electritian. It needs new pistons and sleeves and to be converted to use unleaded petrol, aside from these two things the engine is ready to be assembled which dad says is less than a days work.
The car has a surrey top and it also comes with a soft top from a TR4A however the soft top is in very poor condition, basically just a rusty old frame needing complete restoration. Perhaps it would be better to sell this seperately to a TR4A owner?
All nuts, bolts and brackets are new or galvanised and all labeled to indicate where they fit on the car.

So to summarise in order to finish the car, there is some spraying required, the engine needs new pistons and sleeves and converting to unleaded petrol then the whole caboodle needs to be assembled like a giant man sized meccano set. All bits stored meticulously not just thrown in boxes. We think that a further 2-3K could get this car finished for the right enthusiast.

I cannot comment on the standard of the work but I will say that my dad is a perfectionist and was aiming to finish this car to a standard suitable for classic car shows.

I would be very grateful if anyone could offer an opinion on the possible value of the car.

Thanks very much in advance to anyone kind enough to reply.

Edited by CarolineSouthWales

Caroline

From the other side of the globe it's hard to put a price on a car like this. If you had photos that would be a big help - colour is important too! From what I gather good TR4's are worth £17-30k depending on quality of restoration or originality/ history. So my very rough guess would be in the £12-15k range but there are more knowledgable locals who will be along shortly to give you a better guide.

Unfortunately the value will most probably not reflect the money or time spent

Good luck with the sale, sounds like a perfect project for somone to pick p

Graze

Hi Caroline,Rob here from sunny Scotland ,

In my opinion your basic car ,ie resto project complete to restore 3-5 k£ add in surrey top and Atype overdive in my opinion your looking at 5-7k .hope this gives some direction .

Godspeed speak soon and all that Rob

Pictures speak volumes and you can get more refined opinions. Can easily be uploaded on a post using the "More Reply Options".

Edited by Geko

Caroline

Contact the local TRRegister Group leader in your area, who will I am sure, have a look at it for you and give his opinion of what it is worth and may even have someone near to you who may be interested in taking it on.

If you go to the home page on this site there is an option to find the location of your local group, I think his name is Anthony Davies in Swansea And the Area co ordination is Paul Tunnadine in Birmingham who I am sure will help you.

Good luck, and early TR4s are sought after now so don't let it go for a song.

Sue

Edited by SuzanneH

OK, I have more pics but I must have run out of space. Coolie I will email the extra pics to you later today.

The photos show mostly the chassis and body, the pics of the small blue drawers show how all the nuts and bolts are stored. There are five sets of drawers and each drawer is labelled to show contents, all new/galvanised.

I will be taking more photos next week ready to put the car up for sale. A lot of it is stored in my parents house, for example the leather seats and door panels.

Thank for suggesting contacting the local TR peeps. Being in the Welsh valleys we are probably half way between Swansea and Birmingham and too far for anyone to want to come and look at the car, I suppose it depends how much we would need to pay as with travelling time it would take up most of someone`s day. I will have a chat to my dad and see what he thinks about doing that.

Once again thank you all for your replies. It is much appreciated.

Caroline

Edited by CarolineSouthWales

Being in the Welsh valleys we are probably half way between Swansea and Birmingham and too far for anyone to want to come and look at the car, I suppose it depends how much we would need to pay as with travelling time it would take up most of someone`s day. I will have a chat to my dad and see what he thinks about doing that.

Have a look at the local groups map here:

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/local-groups.php

Maybe Wye Dean or South Glamorgan could help?

Caroline, I would give the Welsh groups a go first before EBay even the Shropshire group. The members of the groups are spread far and wide in that area and there is probably a member near you who could give a bit of advice.

It would be better to try to keep the car within the TR comunity if you can and not everyone expects a Concourse car....!!!

Many TR Register members prefer driving and touring in their cars, apparently EARLY TR4's are especially good for racing etc.

There is a buy, sell, trade, section on this forum and you could also put it up for sale in the TR Register Magazine if you contact the office in Didcot.

Be carefull.

Sue

Edited by SuzanneH

Thanks Geko, it is very useful to have a figure in mind, especially if we end up putting it on ebay so that we can choose a realistic reserve price.

I would use ebay as a last resort. Get unbiased advice and circulate amongst the local TR community. You'll get what it's worth, no more no less while keeping the virtual tyre kickers at bay.

Thank you Suzanne and Geko for your advice which I will certainly take on board.

I had assumed ebay as the best place to generate the most interest and potentially get the best possible price for my parents. I know my dad would be very happy to see the car go to a genuine enthusiast in much the same way puppies used to be advertised to a `good home`

There has been some interest in the car already so may not get as far as having to advertise it. As you said Geko, I just hope to get a decent price, just what the car is worth, no more and no less not looking to rip anyone off while doing my best for my parents.

Well I'm no expert but cars needing a full resto and missing many parts sell for £5K to £7K and it seems your father has done a huge amount of work that is not going to need much to finish it by an enthusiast on the forum here so i'm with Graze (your first reply) on this one, particularly as it has the right bits - the complete surrey top/back screen alone usually sells over £2000 on ebay.

This forum does have a buy/sell/trade section and sometimes register members put something in there on behalf of someone who isn't a member to help out. You could enquire.

I'm not sure if you could ask for best offers in that section? Mind you, now that the photos are up, it is as good as advertised anyway.

You have something valuable - don't give it away - unless it's to me :rolleyes:

Good luck and best regards,

Saggy

Current TR-Register Classified adverts: http://www.tr-register.co.uk/adverts.php

Triumph TR4a LHD 1965 resto project (1965)

I HAVE FOR SALE: a TR4a 1965, with the rare desirable Rigid axle. This was recently imported from the USA by myself. All Customs etc. docs. Ch. Ct 51150 engine CT 50381e. Speedo reads 61538. Arguably correct, but canr confirm..

Fitted wire wheels.all Complete but resto needed. Stored in US barn 30 years. Chassis & panels all solid, minor attention & respray needed. Chrome good, but detached. Engine etc. looks ok, not yet started, instruments in place. Hood & trim needs retrim. Pics available.

£4,950

TR4a IRS with overdrive gearbox. MOT untill August 2014, an older restoration that will need work. A driving project that can enjoyed.

£7,500

TR4 For Sale (1964)
This is a R/H drive English Car with Surrey top, wire wheels, o/d gearbox, many new spares for rebuild as listed below. I new floor pan, 2 new outer sills, 1 new boot floor, 1 recon rad, spare doors - 1 excellent + been reskinned, set of four second hand wings, as the rear ones on the car are fibreglass. The gearbox in the car is non overdrive but I also have a refurbed o/drive gearbox that cost £1,000 to buy and rebuild that will go with the car. The car is tatty however, when I purchased it 3 years ago it was running and I have driven it. £8,000 no offers.
£8,000

Thank you very much saggy and Geko for the extra information. Two thousand for just a surrey top!

So far the car could be worth 5-7, 7-8 , 8-12 or 12-15. I realize that so much depends on the condition of the car and standard of the work, which really needs to be seen in the flesh. I think it may be wise to get a professional valuation, if my dad agrees. I don't see any other way to reach a definite price for the car. This is why I made the faux pax of suggesting eBay as then the bidders set the maximimum price.

Many thanks to all who offered advice and opinions, I really do appreciate it.

Offering advice on the current resale value of a UK project car from the perspective of Kuala Lumpur does seem somewhat presumptuous . . . . to put it politely.

£7-8k ? At that price I'd buy it myself and make a healthy profit on resale, as a project car or in parts. Get real.

Hi Caroline,

it is not easy to judge condition, and therefore value, even from really good professional photographs, let alone snapshots. The devil is in the detail, and your snaps indicate that your Dad has put a good deal of effort into the exercise, sufficient application to justify detail examination. I'd suggest that you would benefit from a Mk 1 Eyeball inspection of the car from someone who knows their TR onions. There are several good chaps in the South Glamorgan circle, Spiro springs to mind . . . .

As you are researching on Dad's behalf, I'd surmise that evolving circumstances have resulted in a sale by necessity rather than choice ? So you are looking to balance a good financial return together with the hope that a new owner will bring to successful completion all your Dad's hard work ? The priorities may influence how you offer the car on ebay - auction, buy it now, classified, etc. Whichever option is appropriate, I'd suggest ebay is the most likely selling platform.

I can't see that the exercise justifies the considerable cost of a 'professional' valuation, but I do think that an experienced set of TR eyes is in order. If you can't achieve that locally, feel free to ask for assistance. SW Wiltshire isn't that far from the Valleys, and I get the feeling that your parents are perhaps in need of a helping hand ?

Cheers

Alec

Thanks for your reply Alec, your view on the situation is spot on.

I totally agree with what you have said regarding the car having to be seen in the flesh and that it would be great to have someone local with TR knowledge to come and look the car over. Unfortunately my dad will not entertain it, I think he sees this as us making a nuisance of ourselves by pestering folk. Exasperating that after asking for and getting great advice here he will not take that advice. His current opinion is that we (i.e. me!) puts the car on ebay and it will be worth whatever the highest bidder offers and find it`s own price.

Thank you so much for your kind advice.

If you are going to put it on eBay, make sure that your ad highlights and emphasises the good parts. You have to be honest so be factual about what needs to be done but don't run the vehicle down unnecessarily.

Rgds Ian