Smell of Petrol in Boot

Gents,

Just had my 5 Mot'd and the mechanic told me that there was a very strong smell of petrol, when he opened the boot, but there were no obvious signs of any fuel leakage.

The tanks is currently half full and the breather pipe from the re-con Lucas pump,is fine.

Any ideas please :angry:

Tyler

Some of the rubber pipe work can get slightly porous over time especially with the new fuels. You could check for minute leaks by dusting the pipes etc with talcum powder. Also check your fuel sender gasket and filler neck tube, it only takes a very slight amount of fuel to cause a stink. Worst case scenario could be the base of the tank is starting to go.

Stuart.

I had the same problem with my 1965 'E'-type Jaguar FHC. A very strong smell of petrol in the cab.

It turned out to be a minute hole in the bottom of the tank which I repaired with soldering a piece of brass

over it. I then coated the inside of the tank with special sealer.

Tom.