Hi guys,

Here's a tester for you!

I drove 4,000 mile last year in my TR6 with no mechancal intervention.

At this year's MOT/maintenance check (90 minutes drive each way) I was told I had gearbox and diff oil leaks.

The diff is a recent (2 yrs) replacement, the age of the gearbox is unknown. Neither drops any significant amounts of oil onto my garage floor. However I do get the ocasional whiff of hypoy on hard acceleration or cornering. (leaking from the rear seal onto the exhaust pipe?)

I've driven crappy british cars for tens of thousands of miles, and never checked the oil in gbox or diff. Now I'm spooked by a report from some grease monkey.

The simple answer is to check it myself, However there is no hole in the gearbox cover where its supposed to be, and jacking up the car and getting under it I can't get enough leverage on the drain plug to get it off.

I'm heading for italy in 3 weeks. 2,500 miles.

My 70's self says drive on and F**k it. What's your view?

Andy

Hi guys,

I've driven crappy british cars for tens of thousands of miles, and never checked the oil in gbox or diff. Now I'm spooked by a report from some grease monkey.

If you don't like what the 'grease monkey' has told you, then I suggest that you do what you said in your last line.

When the diff or the gearbox is F**ked, you can then ask the 'grease monkey' (nicely) if he will fix it for you!

Graeme

Edited by graeme

Place some flattened cardboard boxes on the garage floor.

Not only will this protect the floor itself, it will enable you to keep an eye on the supposed leaks.

If they get too mucky, throw them away and get more...

There's an element of "they all do that" I suppose, but unless you're doing many many thousands of miles a year, and unless it's a significant loss, don't worry about it (especially not in the sunny weather)

Simon

Edited by simonjrwinter

They all leak to some extent. If your MoT tester is not used to old cars he may going by his experience of modern virtually leak-free units.

If I was undertaking a continental trip of several thousand miles, I would first give it a service which would include all fluid checks.

When you're bowling down the Autobahn with no oil left in the diff, you won't be getting very far.

If you are struggling to do it yourself you must find a competent mechanic used to the marque to do it for you.

Jerry

I think this may also be a reflection of the modern mot system. Since the new computerised system has come into use all my cars have been reported as having oil leaks. I think the computer system must have an option to put oil leak on the report form and the Mot person doesn't like to leave a clean advisory sheet as it makes you think they did nothing for their mot fee :-)