TR7 Cooling System.

Does anyone have the lowdown on how the TR7 system is designed to operate.

I don't have a problem with mine I'm just curious after changing all the hoses as a precaution and finding the supplied thermostat was different.

I'm trying to figure out what the function of the disc and spring on the bottom is.

It looks to me as if it closes off the inlet from the pump housing as the thermostat opens to allow the water flow back to the rad.

All I can come up with is this.

With the car running and water in the cold state the thermostat shut and pump rotating the port in the bottom of the thetmostat housing coming from the pump is open(or at least a wider gap)and the water not flowing.As the water warms to 82 degree the thermostat opens allowing water to flow back to the rad the disc at the bottom of the thermostat closing the inlet gap introducing a back pressure for the pump to help move the water round the system.

Or what is the real answer.

The foot closes off the bypass which allows the water to recirculate through the engine with out going through the radiator.

This gives quicker warm up. Once warm the closing of the foot forces the water to go through the radiator.