Headlight Warning wiring?

Hi Ron,

haven't got the diagram but easy to explain.

Take a 12V supply from the ignition coil (+ connector) to the coil of a change over relay.

With ignition on this moves the relay arm to normally open (NO) contacts that are NOT connected to anything.

The other set of relay contacts (normally closed, NC) have a feed coming from the headlights. The relay arm is connected to the + side of a 12v buzzer.

The -ve of the buzzer goes to earth .

This works well for its main objective. However if you need to have the lights on with the engine off you will temporarily need to pull a wire off the relay.

Relay = 12V SPDT (single pole double toggle).

Buzzer - 12v

From Maplin etc

Roger

Ron, try this, it is a very simple solution and you can use the £2.50 12v round buzzer from Maplin. You will need to hide it as it is white!!

http://www.elises.co.uk/diy/buzzer/buzzer.jpg

Hi Chaps

Thanks for the info, I nearly got caught out a couple of weeks ago returning during the day with the headlights on in bad weather, fortunately a neighbour noticed, maybe it's an over reaction, I haven't done it before, I'll give it a bit of thought.

RonA

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks guys-fitted this today with piezoelectric buzzer between light switch and door switch. The wires are virtually side by side, cost less than $5 of the local NZ peso and works a treat.

Was convinced I was going to leave the lights on at some stage...