New member looking for the gearbox serial number can you help ?

Hi All

I'm trying to find the gearbox number on my imported 4a, the workshop manual say's its on the L/H side gear box boss where the clutch fork exits if I'm reading it right? I've cleaned it off but there is no number that I can see. There is a set of numbers on the output end of the gearbox starting 30........ but I thought it was meant to start CT...............

Any help would be great thanks.

regards

Gavin

The GB number is stamped on the clutch fork exit as stated. If there's nothing there that probably means that the car has been locally assembled or a new replacement clutch housing. From memory the clutch housing was modified in 66 so you might have one of those. If there's another number non-CT that means it's a recon GB.

The other number starting 30... is the Stanpart number.

Hope this helps

Edited by Geko

Thanks Geko and Stuart I'll have a look tomorrow and see if I can see anything more and let you know how I get on.

regards

Gavin

Gavin,

It may have been fitted with a later gearbox which will be stamped on the starter side of the box. eg. CC***** for a late TR6 Box.

I have PM'd you.

Cheers

Graeme

Edited by graeme

Hi everyone,

I've cleaned the sugested areas to find the g/box number but unfortunatly there are none to be found, as Geko say's it could be a recon or replaced clutch housing. It just means I'll have to send of for the heritage cert minus the g/box number, thanks for your help lads.

regards

Gavin