Hi Does any body else have problems with fuel not being able to use whats in the tank!! I fill the fuel tank right up and do about 200 miles then starts cutting out going around corners,then you can here fuel pump noisy so I just about make it to the fuel station.

But can only get about 7 1/2 gallon back in to the fuel tank. 11 gallon tank

I filled the tank back up to brim and got home and then starting to strip down the fuel first was to drain fuel,so pumped out the fuel by fuel pump into Gerry cans,only got about 7 1/2 gallon out until you could here the fuel pump noise change again what I found was the fuel was aerating when it got to a certain level so we made a swell pot that fitted in the spare wheel hole on the o/s of the car that curved around the wheel and lower then the tank so gravity fill only.

Well what a different it's made no more fuel shortage and the fuel pump has stop making a noise and nice and quite I have attached a picture if any one out there is interested in purchasing one it's cheaper then a new tank!post-12548-0-18165300-1402176476_thumb.jpgpost-12548-0-06095200-1402176535_thumb.jpg

What a cunning solution, Kevart!

Aeration of fuel is a problem with Pi, when the tank level gets low and there is nothing in the system to remove the bubbles, unlike a carburettor float chamber. I wouldn't describe your solution as a "swirl" pot, because as you say it fills under gravity, when a swirl pot uses a vortex in a cylindrical chamber, driven by a 'lifter' pump, to exclude bubbles and return them to the main tank.

But still, most cunning, and without the cost of an extra pump!

JOhn

Hi john

I should have put additional fuel tank.

Doesn't take any extra room in boot

It's great to drive it now and not have to crawl around corners or round about when you get low on fuel !!!

The extra tank holds about 3 to 4 lt fuel.

I just couldn't work it out at first thought is was some kind of blockage but when emptying tank you could here the noise change of the fuel pump.

The last 3 gallon being sucked out of the tank by the Bosch fuel pump was full off air bubbles.

After fitting the extra tank it seem to have solved the problem.

We also added extra fuel inlet on top of new tank just in case

We needed to put extra outlet on old tank but it doesn't seem to need it.

Great idea. Do you have drawings?

Tim

Great idea. Do you have drawings?

Tim

Hi I can draw what I've done re supply pipe and return pipes

There is 2 supply pipe (one spare) just in case I needed to put another outlet from main tank

1x return from PRV 1x return back to main tank

1x feed to fuel pump

Also can get the tanks made

They are made buy someone who makes fuel tanks all day long

The price of the tank is £125

They fit in the well with a 185x70x15 tyre but the tank could be made smaller or bigger to accommodate larger / smaller wheel.

Nice Neat solution providing it Works,No I don't Doubt you Kev.

Hi it work great

I was looking at buying a new fuel tank and a new fuel pump (the pump got very noisy when fuel level dropped ) but since I've done this the fuel pump can't here any more nice and quite the the small tank is constantly full off fuel.

• 3 weeks later...

I can honestly say my standard CP car has never suffered from not being able to pick up all it's fuel, nor has the Lucas pump ever made funny sounds when the tanks low on fuel!

Wouldn't Triumph back in the day fixed this issue when the cars were new, if they had had compliants?

Hi I can draw what I've done re supply pipe and return pipes

There is 2 supply pipe (one spare) just in case I needed to put another outlet from main tank

1x return from PRV 1x return back to main tank

1x feed to fuel pump

Also can get the tanks made

They are made buy someone who makes fuel tanks all day long

The price of the tank is £125

They fit in the well with a 185x70x15 tyre but the tank could be made smaller or bigger to accommodate larger / smaller wheel.

Hi I have exactly the same problem, could you please forward the details who supplied your triangular extra fuel tank and any extra details re fitting etc I am not a mechanic so make it basic if you could, many thanks Alan

Hi I have exactly the same problem, could you please forward the details who supplied your triangular extra fuel tank and any extra details re fitting etc I am not a mechanic so make it basic if you could, many thanks Alan

Hi I had the tank made and it works great

Iam having another two made should be with me next week. I have fitted mine with the Bosch fuel pump which is also fitted in the spare wheel hole.

The tank fitting is very easy I can supplie you with pipes and clips and diagram how to fit ,you don't have to remove the main tank

The price is £120 x post

Kev

Kev I am new to the Forum and don't know how we are able to provide contact details or if it is allowed etc, could you enlighten me so I can purchase a tank from you, regards Alan

Hi Alan,

if you left click on Kev's avatar (top left picture) this will open another screen. Go to top right and see the box send message.

To help you there is a facility within the your info (top right on any forum) that will send you an e-mail to tell you that you have a PM reply.

Roger

I can honestly say my standard CP car has never suffered from not being able to pick up all it's fuel, nor has the Lucas pump ever made funny sounds when the tanks low on fuel!

Denis,

Me too - for over 200k miles. I do wonder if the large filter bowl helped do the job that Kevart's does.

Peter

Hi Alan,

if you left click on Kev's avatar (top left picture) this will open another screen. Go to top right and see the box send message.

To help you there is a facility within the your info (top right on any forum) that will send you an e-mail to tell you that you have a PM reply.

Roger

Hi Roger

many thanks for that sorted now

Kev

Kevart, I wonder if your car has the Original PI fuel tank. U.S spec cars had the fuel tank fitted with a longer/deeper filler neck that prevented to fill the tank to the brim, the purpose was to allow the fumes to circulate and being evacuated via a charcol filter.

I must say, as others, I never had any problem with fuel starvation in more than 40 years, beside the dreadfull pump overheating, solved by EFI 15 years ago

In general the PI tank , beside some extra inlet, should be fitted with a kind of internal swirl pot which is located under the MU return pipe.

Anyhow your extra tank in the wheel well is a nice, creative solution, well done :)

What a cunning solution, Kevart!

Aeration of fuel is a problem with Pi, when the tank level gets low and there is nothing in the system to remove the bubbles, unlike a carburettor float chamber. I wouldn't describe your solution as a "swirl" pot, because as you say it fills under gravity, when a swirl pot uses a vortex in a cylindrical chamber, driven by a 'lifter' pump, to exclude bubbles and return them to the main tank.

But still, most cunning, and without the cost of an extra pump!

JOhn

John,

The problem of sucking air into the fuel pipe come from the fact, that the outlet diameter is MUCH TOO SMALL. As the pump aspirates about 70 liters per hour, or 19 cubiccentimeter per second, the speed in the outlet hole of the tank (5mm diameter, or 0.2 cmsquare) is about 100cm/s. This very high speed does easily create a "hole" up to the surface of the fuel. The nearer the surface, the easier the creation of the hole. (It is the same hole that you can observe when you empty the bath tub, unless the pipe is half blocked.)

The simplest solution is to hinder the creation of that aspiration-hole. Some people have just increased the outlet hole on the tank. Other have put some kind of shield at close distance of the outlet, inside the tank. (You can fix it with a strong magnet, so that it does not wander around).

Wilfried

Contrary to the Lucas pump, Bosch pumps are gravity fed, to say they do not produce suction, that's why they have to be located as low as possible :wacko: under the tank. An empty tank will produce

very little pressure, say fuel flow on the pump inlet. Seen the pump performance the fuel offer will be too low what will seriously deteriorate the system reliability and life span.

Information from Bosch about their pumps says... for proper functioning the tank outlet should be at least the size of the pump inlet, some pumps go up to 12mm inlet :huh:, so make up your mind.

Information from Bosch about their pumps says... for proper functioning the tank outlet should be at least the size of the pump inlet, some pumps go up to 12mm inlet .

You say it in a few words: any (gear-) pump, not only Bosch, must have a properly functioning tank outlet. The original outlet of the TR6 tank is way too small.

Unfortunately, rather than installing a bigger outlet, people to all kind of complicared things to avoid entering (I now avoid the word "sucking") air into the system.

As far as I know, the aluminium replacement tanks have bigger outlets.

Wilfried

Hi

I have now had a couple of tanks made here is a picture

Kevart, I wonder if your car has the Original PI fuel tank. U.S spec cars had the fuel tank fitted with a longer/deeper filler neck that prevented to fill the tank to the brim, the purpose was to allow the fumes to circulate and being evacuated via a charcol filter.

I must say, as others, I never had any problem with fuel starvation in more than 40 years, beside the dreadfull pump overheating, solved by EFI 15 years ago

In general the PI tank , beside some extra inlet, should be fitted with a kind of internal swirl pot which is located under the MU return pipe.

Anyhow your extra tank in the wheel well is a nice, creative solution, well done :)

Hi yes my car has the original tank fitted I know because it's a one owner from new,I notice the outlet was small when I drained the tank and removed it

I thought there was a blockage in the tank stopping fuel but on emptying you could here the fuel pump working hard and making a humming noise (loud) when it got to about 3/4 empty but after fitting this little tank I've had no more problem with fuel and the fuel pump noise has all most gone.the outlet from the tank to pump filter I've made 10mm end the inlet from main tank is 10mm plus it's getting the return from the MU so all way full of fuel.

post-12548-0-83076800-1404857030_thumb.jpgpost-12548-0-67768200-1404857058_thumb.jpg
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Kevart and all those following this topic. I purchased one of these tanks from Kevin, very professionally made, and my mechanic had no problems fitting this. My fuel was at a level of one third / quarter left where I would normally have problems on bends. I threw the car about the bends and had no issues. I drained about a gallon and the drove around the lanes for another say 25 miles until the car stopped , out of fuel. There was no coughing or spluttering it just stopped. Topped up with 5 litres then no issues and less that a mile to the petrol station and filled up to the top with another 47 litres (total 11.4 gallons) Car started fine no repercussions of running to empty.

I have noted other comments about their tanks. My TR6 is an early one CP25207 a launch day car. I did not, other than over heating, have any problems with my Lucas pump. This only started when a Bosch pump was fitted. I am very pleased so far and that I can now use the full capacity of my tank giving me a greater range. Many thanks Kevin