Tachometer Cable Route

Hello,

I have been having a few problems with the tacho cable on my 71' TR6. The original inner cable recently snapped, very close to the instrument end. I replaced the cable and all worked fine for around 30 miles before the new cable also snapped. The instrument itself seems fine with no obvious resistance to turning by hand.

I think the likely cause of the breakages are due to a bend in the cable which is too tight, as the cable is forced to bend immediately after it exits the rear of the instrument.

I suspect the cable might be routed incorrectly. The original cable was passing in front of the heater unit, but if the cable went towards the bulk head and behind the heater then the bend would be much less severe, but I am not sure if this route is possible.

Could anyone tell me the route it should take? My workshop manual doesn't show it.

Much appreciated,

Phil

Toward the back about half way past the heater then down to gearbox cover, across tunnel into bulkhead hole.

It's worked on 4/5 of my cars without issue. Make sure the cable has a straight run toward bulkhead before heading down. I also don't tighten the connections at either end too much , tighten hand tight all the ay then back off the odd turn. Bit of advice given to me by another and has worked well, so give it a try.

I'm pretty sure mine runs straight through the bulkhead and across in front of the battery then around and down to the dizzy

Will have to go and have another look

Nope I was wrong - thats on the TR4 - sorry

Graze

Edited by Graze