Roll bar mounts

Have recently purchased a roll bar - see photo.  Does anyone have any idea of the manufacturer?

I know everyone has reservations about those roll bars that just mount to the tub.  However, this is how this one must be fitted.  I think I am going to go ahead and fit.  After all you are better with it than without it.  Furthermore the mount near the seatbelt fixings are over the area of the chassis to body mounts.  Whilst the two supporting bars going backwards are only 2-3" from it.  Therefore although not directly attached to it, in the case of a roll over then the tub wouldn't have anywhere to go and roll bar would be meeting chasis anyway?

What are the views on this?  Do people think my logic is seriously flawed?  I can't see how any roll bar shape on offer will be able to mount into the chassis (certainly not with the shape I have bought).

Any views/ideas

Thanks

Matt

Matt

It is very important that any roll over bar has sufficient vertical strength to survive a flip & support the cars weight. In the event, the car will almost certainly have forward momentum so it is also essential the bar has sufficient lateral support, usually provided by triangulated bracing, in order to prevent it just folding flat – possibly over your head! Personally I would not fit one unless I knew it’s pedigree & had been purposely designed for the car by someone who knew what they were doing.

Matt

I'm inclined to agree with Richard, that looks as if it would only work if the car rolled over with no forward motion, I think unless it was very strongly attached to the chassis it would either rip out due to forward motion or fold over.  I gave fitting a rollover bar a fair bit of thought and asked questions on here a couple of years ago, and I'm not really convinced that anything other than a full racing cage offers a great deal of protection, plus most of them seem to be ugly and inconvenient, but it is a subject that niggles me now and then and I think I would like some sort of protection but don't know what?

Ron

As I mentioned in previous posts, I rolled over an MGB with the hardtop fitted. You cant say that it's directly mounted to the chassis and the brackets are not space tested either.

But what I have to say is that it safed my life.

I'm still of the opinion that the most simple roll-over bar is better than none. I don't know how you people drive on public roads, but under normal circumstances, I' m convinced, there will be very little forward momentum at the moment you tip over. If you watch a car rolling over you will notice that the roll movement is mostly triggert by an fast stop in a forward movement.

Another reason to for me to fit a roll-over bar is a sideway collision with another car, but then again there will be little if  no forward momentum as you are mostly full on the brakes.

It goes without saying that what ever you fit you will never be able to cope with all situations.

Jean