The story so far...

About 10 days ago I blew the head gasket on my TR3 A. At the end of a speedy100 mile round trip over hills. I admit I did not check the fluids before setting off...

I did get home under my own steam on the last 2 miles. literally ...

The following weekend I pulled the head off and found a very small defect in the gasket but I suppose that's all it takes.

I then fitted a new gasket and torqued it down to 105 as per the book.

I did not adjust the timing or change any carb settings and refitted the manifolding etc.

I double checked the SU float levels and made sure the jet heads were wetting when puffed on and that the needles all dropped cleanly and evenly.

Now I'm Having real trouble getting the thing to run smoothly at lower revs. Plus I now have just noticed the four branch exhaust going cherry after only a few mins running indicating

A) timing way out?

B) and or mixture way to lean?

But I did not touch the carbs or the timing.?

So far I have not reset the tappets either .

Perhaps the timing slipped slightly on my run causing the overheating?

I will now

Reset the tappets and strobe the timing.

By the way the plugs are sandier than before so I could also try my colourtune kit.

Am I missing something?

I'm on H6's which really need replaced so am looking for a new or refurbed set of HS6's as I have a 4A manifold and the heater tubes were moved when I built the car.

The car had been going so well before all this and I suppose these things are character forming and an opportunity to learn more about the beast.

Any comments appreciated

Regards

Bill G@NB

Ps car needed for forthcoming Portsoy trip in 3 weeks. No sweat there then..

Hi Bill,
Was the loss of the alternator bolts last year at Moffat the start of this? If I were you I would go back to uprated dynamo and throw the alternator over the nearest wall.
Your issue, hmmmm!
What were the bores like when the head was off?
Have you checked compession?
Was it really cooked when you got home, i.e was the engine sounding really rough?

You may have cooked a ring or 3 or it picked up.
Drop me a mail about carbs.
Rgds
Rod

Edited by Rodbr

Hi Rod

Compressions are great and after resetting the tappets its better at slow running but still not right.

Will follow thru with a basic set up from scratch on the Su's.

On a road test tonight it accelerates hard in all gears limiting myself to 4000 revs.

I will get new carbs though .

Regards

Bill G