Speedometer jumping & inaccurate

Hello,

My 1976 TR6 has a speedometer that has the needle jumping and/or reading much faster than the car is travelling. Occasionally it will work steadily & accuarately. There seems to be no predicting when it will work right, but it only does so once in awhile. Mostly it is jumpng and very fast.

Any help woul dbe greatly appreciated. Thanks, Kevin

Could also be an internal fault inside the speedo.

Does the mileometer work correctly ?

Stev

Be careful that you don't get grease from the cable in the speedo head.

This can happen if you use too much grease in the cable.

There is not much to a speedo head. Its just a disc that gets dragged against a spring by a spinning magnet.

The dodgy bit is the drive cable.

Hello,

My 1976 TR6 has a speedometer that has the needle jumping and/or reading much faster than the car is travelling. Occasionally it will work steadily & accuarately. There seems to be no predicting when it will work right, but it only does so once in awhile. Mostly it is jumpng and very fast.

Any help woul dbe greatly appreciated. Thanks, Kevin

When my speedo behaved this way, but with a random scraping sound, the bearing for the spinning disc was finished. JDO fixed it.

Hi,

I have a similar issue with my 1975 TR6 speedo. The odometer seems to be working OK but the needle is a bit wild and the speedo reads low.

I plan on checking the angle drive and the cable itself.

Nigel.

Beware, not all speedo cables are the same. Some suppliers have cheapies, imported from wherever - I bought one where the knurled connection to the angle drive had an incorrect thread. Speedy Cables in S.Wales still make up new ones to the original pattern, so they fitted properly. No connection - just a satisfied customer.

Nigel