Hi, I'm restoring my 59 3a and am attempting to maintain original spec as far as possible; can anyone tell me if the windscreen washer should be a manual pump type or electrical? I've got a very good quality manual pump dashboard knob but I'm unsure what I need to get if the original spec is manual. Similarly, I'm told that the washer bottle itself should be the large square glass type; I've been scouring the Internet for ages but can't source one unfortunately.

Many thanks

Graeme

Windscreen washers were a dealer-installed accessory. As long as its period-appropriate and cleanly installed, it's probably right.

My TR3B had a plastic-bottled, hand-pumped Tudor windscreen washer when it was new. The pump was mounted in the OD hole in the dash. (The car didn't have OD as built.)

Edited by Don H.

Bloody hell I have an origonal working one in the back of a cupboard collecting dust I think i should clean it up and stick it on ebay!!!!

You don't have to pay those prices - and they are reproduction ones.

You can get good original ones for a lot less. They do crop up on eBay regularly - just keep looking.

If you type in E Type as Tom suggests though, you'll pay E Type prices!

Try searching Lucas washer bottle -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-CLASSIC-LUCAS-GLASS-WASHER-BOTTLE-WITH-WORKING-PUMP-CHOICE-OF-TWO-/121348317720?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c40ec6218

My TR2 had a Trico manual system in it and you can get those on eBay too.

Keep looking and good luck!

Roger

Edited by Pogo

If you opt for the glass bottle type be careful of what type of motor connections it has on the top as the Jaguar type one has a washer delay on it which gives a timed squirt and was used with a momentary flick switch, hence the 3 wire connectors It is slightly more complicated to wire up.

Stuart.

Remember that when using the Lucas unit that you get more with the jar as close to upright as possible.

P1010080.jpg

A good original will fetch a significant premium but does need to be working as the pump/strainer part can be a major issue as in brittle plastic that can a have minute cracks or worse. The bracket is equally important but is relatively easy to get back to original although the rubber profile anti vibration strip is impossible to find.

Edited by Rodbr

Thats great information Gents, many thanks.

Is it fair to assume that the glass bottle type are all aligned to an electrical pump or were manual options available?

For the electrical version, any thoughts on what type of switch I should opt for?

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

You could try this for the electrical type.

http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/push-starter-switch-black--ac-horn-button-/

Or

http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/lucas-flick-switch-off---on-momentery/

I think that there may be a vacuum type glass bottle by Trico, personally i would avoid this!

Edited by Rodbr

Its easy to re-create the rubber strip round the bottle frames by drilling the rivets out of the strips and then fit heat shrink over them and re-rivet.

Stuart.

Graeme

I fitted a modern washer bottle with electric pump as not too bothered about 'period' looks, ( plus too tight to spend so much on period version) and have replaced the wiper switch with a light switch, lucas pull type, fist pull operates wiper, second pull operates wash pumpas well, so you do not need an extra switch hole/bracket.

the switch type is as this one on ebay;

Lucas Type PPG1 Vintage Car Light Switch 51952, 3H3098

Cheers

Mike

My first TR2, bought in 1962, had a manual push to squirt type.

My second TR2, bought a year later, had a vacuum type - this was a pain in sub-zero temperatures as I would push the knob and nothing would happen, so I would push again, with the same result. Eventually, engine heat would defrost the tubes and I would then be subjected to a shower lasting a couple of minutes!

I imagine that in both cases, the screenwasher had been fitted by the dealer back in 1954/5.

Ian Cornish

Personally, I prefer not to have anything made of glass in the engine compartment. With my luck, I'd drop a spanner and crack or shatter that glass jar.

Over here, the most common brand installed by Triumph dealers was Tudor followed by Trafalger. These were quite simple, completely manual push type pump. I'm told that Tudor sold a foot operated pump but I've never seen one. The Lucas ScreenJet was commonly fitted to US Jaguar cars, both saloon and sports types.

post-772-0-50751300-1401884254_thumb.jpg

post-772-0-65857900-1401884297_thumb.jpg

post-772-0-68915700-1401884449_thumb.jpg

Personally, I prefer not to have anything made of glass in the engine compartment. With my luck, I'd drop a spanner and crack or shatter that glass jar.

Good thinking Frank! Mine is a repoduction of the Tudor bottle. The push button (together with some other items like the fan warning light) on my car's dash comes from my father's 1965 Austin Glider. Perhaps not original, but at least historically correct! (See my signature pic).

Menno

If upgrading to electric washers, the car may need to be swapped to negative earth. Jags of the early 60's with electric washers were neg earth.

Plunger washers continued as an option for the TR4 and became standard on the TR4A. First recall seeing electric washers on a TR5 mounted on the firewall just behind the LH inner wing..

Viv

Electric washer pumps have two terminals +ve, & -ve it does not matter if -ve earth or +ve, just wire the pump accordingly.

Bob.

• 3 weeks later...

If upgrading to electric washers, the car may need to be swapped to negative earth. Jags of the early 60's with electric washers were neg earth.

Plunger washers continued as an option for the TR4 and became standard on the TR4A. First recall seeing electric washers on a TR5 mounted on the firewall just behind the LH inner wing..

Viv

Hello Viv,

My 3a of the 60's had the Lucas Screenjet unit and the car was positive earth. The current TR's washer system died and has not been replaced.

John