Re-Fitting TR6 Interior Door Handles & Window Winders

Good morning,

I am nearing completion of a full re-trim of my TR6 using materials provided by John Skinner. I have to say that the quality and fit has been excellent and I would recommend them should any other members be considering re-trimming their cars.

I am now at the stage where I need to re-fit the interior door handles and window winders. I have purchased the correct replacement locating pins but am struggling to fit them. I think I am going to need to get someone to push back the door card while I try and fit the pin with a pair of long-nosed pliers.

I was wondering if any other members may have some tips or lessons learned when trying to re-fit these pins? I am obviously nervous about damaging the brand new door cards which is why I have posted this request for assistance.

Thanks for reading the post and hopefully taking the time to respond.

Best Regards, Peter

This is a tricky job Peter !

i found that using a small screwdriver and a piece of wire insulation worked better than long nosed pliers.

you insert the new pin halfway into a 1cm piece of pvc wire insulation, and insert the small phillips screwdriver into the other end of the insulation.

this gives you a stable but thin means of pushing the pin in.

hth

steve

Hi Peter,

have you tried the pin in the final position without the spring behind the door card - in other words does it fit.

Steve's plastic tube is a nice idea.

But usually the long nose pliers work.

Roger

Peter, its a bit of a pig to do. If you use the springs that go behind the cards where the handles go its even more difficult. Heres a link to someone whos done it with pictures so all the detail youll need is here. Well worth investing in the little reverse pliers hes using (I got some at an autojumble). Its another of those jobs that requires real patience and a bit of technique....as ever once youve done it youll know the tricks (if theres ever another time)

http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/WindowChannel.htm

Good luck (I amabout to do mine and yep used Mr Skinner as well)

Hi. The problem often is that the window winder mechanisms that are sold from the suppliers are not original TR ones but come from something like a Marina. I remember reading an informed article on this in the past. This means that the shaft that the handle goes is slightly shorter than it should be. I relate to your problem !! I think I used the shaft of a pop rivet or a masonry nail in the end cut to right size, as a pin to fit the handle on the shaft. You need a pin with a point on it so you can get it in and push it through.. You may have to dispense with the foam spacer washer or substitute it. Such a simple job I thought but several hours of frustration!! I wish I had read the article before.

Good luck! Mark

A wee bit of 'Bluetac' on the end of a long slim screwdriver worked a treat for me, only after half an hour of frustration first !

Simply twist screwdriver to release the pins, once located.

The diameter of the pin isn't at all crucial. It only stops the handle falling off the peg. Here is an easy and effective short-cut. The purists won't like it, but it's simple and effective.

Take a wire coat hanger and straighten it out. Measure the length of the pin from the end, and saw halfway through. Poke the whole length down the gap between the handle and escutcheon into the hole and then bend. The wire will snap leaving your 'pin' now in place and the handle secure. A two minute job!

Get yourself a surgical clamp. It will hold the pin securely so that you can get it started in the hole whilst pushing the card out of the way with the other hand. Once it's in about 2/3 of the way a small screwdriver will push it fully home. As Roger says, test for fit first.

One other thing. Make sure that your door restraints are in place and working. It's easy to apply pressure to the door card and not notice the door opening, maybe a bit too far and then you've got a crease in the leading edge of the door. Been there etc.

The diameter of the pin isn't at all crucial. It only stops the handle falling off the peg. Here is an easy and effective short-cut. The purists won't like it, but it's simple and effective.

Take a wire coat hanger and straighten it out. Measure the length of the pin from the end, and saw halfway through. Poke the whole length down the gap between the handle and escutcheon into the hole and then bend. The wire will snap leaving your 'pin' now in place and the handle secure. A two minute job!

Yep, that's the easiest method, works well.

Good morning,

Just a brief note of thanks to everyone who has offered me advice and assistance. I used the surgical clamp method with a wooden clothes peg which as everyone suggested worked perfectly. I did however have to remove the foam washers from the door winder. Unfortunately when using the washer and the spring together it was impossible to fit the pin. Still I'm very pleased with the end result!

Best Regards, Peter