Sprinzel: Living Legend

Had the pleasure of meeting with John Sprinzel today for the All British Car day in Honolulu. Absolute legend as a competitor in so many of the famous european rallies. One of John's first cars was a 1955 TR2, but he soon switched to an Austin A35 because he said so many competitors had a TR2 that he wanted to stand out in the crowd by running the Austin! Here he is next to my car. He recalls our own Graham Robson fondly, and knew Ken Richardson as well. He has run TRs, Sprites, Austins, MGs, and a whole host of other Marques. What a blast to listen to his lunchtime keynote speech today. He even recognized the long door feature of my car!

Dan

imagejpg9_zps31c7d726.jpg

And of course John helped me more in originally setting up the revived 'works' rally team in 1962 than anyone would now realise. Thank goodness for that because, at the same time, the rapidly declining Ken Richardson 'fan club' in the company was trying hard to make sure that none of the 'side-screen' experience could possibly be used again ....

Hon. Pres.,

• 7 years later...

That is sad but what a life in motorsport. A truly heroic era. 

H