Differential oil seals, replacement advice

If you are going to replace the drive shaft seals on the diff you will need to remove the shafts (easy) and separate the taper ( less easy) to get at the seals.

Seal replacement itself is easy, mine hasnt leaked in the three years since i did this ( and im a complete amateur !)

As Roger says, replace both shafts with proptech ones or cv ones if you fancy.

Steve

I'm a fool, and did not explain myself proper like! :angry:

The 'clonk' isn't the drive shaft, it is the backlash between the flange (the drive shaft bolts to) and the diff gearing itself.

With the wheels off the ground, I can turn the drive shaft flange a bit before it 'meshes' into the diff.

So, If I turn the prop shaft, the (n/s) drive shaft would begin to turn a moment after the propshaft.

Looks to me like it needs a 'midges dickie' more engagement to take out the backlash.

The o/s is much better, barely any movement by comparison.

Who is the current 'World Champion' of Diff adjustments/refurbs, if I take the easy option and repair it 'by Visa'?? :wacko: