A type over drive

Usually comes in and out "briskly" but after longer runs it stops working or more precisely I swith the lever and it comes in some time later - many seconds. Is this solenoid getting hot?

Any suggestions thank you - if solenoid look like I will be taking my interior out and so may as well change the getabox oil and clean filters.

Snowy

Hi Snowy,

when the problem begins, pull over and with the ignition on and in 3rd gear select OD - can you hear it click in. If it does then it is not the solenoid.

What oil have you in the gearbox - you do have oil in your gearbox!!

It may be on the low side - worth a check.

Some poeple use engine oil (20/50 etc). This usually works well but it does contain detergents and may froth. Thus putting air bubbles into the system.

SAE40 gearbox oil is good. Others use 80 or 90 weight oils.

Roger

Hi Snowy ~

I had the same problem with my 3A and it was caused by the pear shaped O/D switch being prevented from

working briskly. I had to dismantle the switch and clean the mechanism. The O/D then worked perfectly.

Hope this helps.

Regards ~

Tom.

The seal in the accumulator piston in poor. It holds pressure when the oil is cold but when hot leaks too much.

Now when you engage there is not a reservoir of high-pressure oil to knock it home quickly.

It goes home slowly because the pump gradually pushes it home.

If I am right, then this is a possible fix with the unit in place, but you will need a few bits of tooling.

There is a topic on here about this about mid 2012, if my memory is correct.

Hi All

Having a similar problem with my TR 4 A Type ,slow to engage have tried Rogers static test can hear the relay clicking but not the solenoid, oil level ok. Just about to fit a new solenoid will let you know how I get on.

Cheers Chris.