After a weekend run my car developed a vibration while being driven. I could find nothing physical under the car. While reversing and driving at slow speed I could hear strange metallic noises. When the car was garaged I lifted the rear end to have a look but still nothing visible. While the car was up I put it in gear but was able to turn rear wheels. Is there something that could break in the gearbox/ overdrive? The gearbox was a reconditioned one supplied by the restorer only 2K miles ago. Anyone any ideas or is it a gearbox out job?

Craig

The diff action will allow the rear wheels to rotate if they're both in the air. If you turn one the other will rotate in the other direction. Before you condemn the gearbox check the hubs for play. Also the driveshaft UJs, splines and propshaft UJs.

• 2 weeks later...

Problem solved!!!!! The culprit was the prop shaft UK at the diff end. Only one of the four bearings was dry and worn, the other 3 were like new,very strange!! This made it tricky to find the source of the metallic squeal. Thanks for all suggestions for the cause.

Craig