Can you hear your co-pilot?

Hi all,

When you are travelling with the roof off and worse, when behind aeroscreens can you hear your passenger?

Many a time I have become hoarse after a long trip and just a tad fed up with repeating myself and enquiring what the co-pilot has said. Well I've discovered the answer, maybe some of you are already aware of the existence of intercoms but this has been a revelation to me and I must pass it on.

Mel, my wife, and I ride a Cannondale tandem and one of the biggest problems is hearing the "stoker" and vice versa so we bought a purpose built tandem intercom which works brilliantly, it is so light and the headsets so comfortable. Anyway we used the unit in the TR2 last weekend, we cannot recommend it highly enough and another great thing it has an audio port so you can listen to a radio or MP3 player, you just need a lead to connect. We have never had music in the TR as I couldn't find a suitable place to install the head without ruining the glovebox but now we have sounds!!

Check out the website http://www.precisiontandems.com they are an American company but really helpful and dispatch goods rapidly. They also do a wireless set but a little pricey and I'm not sure of the legality in Europe.

If you want more info send an e-mail, my addy is somewhere here.

Nik

Guest mikemd

Nik,

Isn't the sound of the TR enough music for you? Ansurely hand signals suffice for giving the copilot instructions as to when to turn over the page on the map/route notes that you are following as you drive?

I must say my copilot has never had any trouble being heard, although she would say I don't always listen!

Mike

:D

Terratrip do an intercom set and you can get "practice" headphones to go with it, and it comes with ear piece and mic to go inside a helmet, there are full face and open face options.

If your car is positive earth they say it's not suitable, however, thats a matter of opinion and as long as you mount the unit isolated from the "earth" there should not be a problem.

The interccom is available from Demon Tweeks, this link will take you to it

I have one for our off road racing buggy, however, I wish I'd fitted it to our MR2 before the track day... I will be fitting it in there next time I'm doing a long journey or a tack event, and I'm sure it'll find it's way into the TR2 for a long joourney.  Although the TR engine noise is the best ever in the whole world, there is nothing to beat being able to hear "right" or "left" and avoiding a 25 mile detour in a one way systewm in rush hour!

:blues:

What type of approval sticker is on the crash helmets... green, blue, red or a gold sticker with a flowe type design on it?

Hi Guys

Should have said, the Tandem com works on a AAA battery, 18 hours on just one, has to really, we've got no electrics on the bike, also the headset is left ear only(and not an "earbud") so you can still hear the exhaust! But thats not a patch on the Vee rumble from the wife's TVR!!!!

Nik