Turns out that 40DCOE bolt-on trumpets are a perfect fit on old stock 42DCOE Webers!

Deep joy as I can retain the filter boxes from the 45 Webers and everything else is a straight swap over.

Great service from Eurocarbs (no connection) and helpful advice on all the replacement jets etc.

Paul

2 questions

Why change from 45's?

Do you need to fit new seals etc given they have obviously been sitting around for many moons?

Just out of interest

Graze

Guys,

I'm changing from 45's because I think they are actually too large for all but a race spec 4 pot engine.

If 42's were readily available everybody would fit them (which is why they were fitted by the factory rally cars, although they were also cheap at the time)

There can also be problems with casting quality on new Webers which can never be diagnosed - NOS is simply better every time.

I want Weber performance, but I also want smooth instant response right through the torque and rev range, not just at the top end.

The carbs will be checked by an expert (Stuart) before final fitting but they seem mint in every respect with new gaskets that have never been bolted up.

I shall stick with the new Moss Triumph Tune inlet manifolds already on the car because I am told they do the job well.

I know there will be plenty of experts telling me I could have tuned the 45's to perfection, but that just hasn't been my personal experience.

Paul

Great find................been looking long

So, would 40's not be any good?

Or do I assume 40's are just too small to be useful at higher revs (but closer to 42's than your old 45's) ?

40s will give you plenty of go up to about 5000 revs...and logically on public roads how many people will use more than that ? If you fancy ploughing a lonely and lot cheaper furrow why not fit Dellortos ? Always an arguing point between the two camps but the Dellortos have more adjustment available through the jets and still give the under bonnet "Bling" of thumping big carbs. I believe they're Stuarts choice.

Of course if you just want a carburettor that will give excellent MPG and brilliant torque delivery and will cope with up to160HP at the back wheels (and honestly how many people will be achieving this...honestly?) at the same 5000 revs limit why not remain with SUs ?

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

The 40s (40-DCOE-18s) on my 87mm "road" engine work beautifully for road driving where torque rather then eye-watering revs is needed.

red line on my engine is 5000rpm, with an occasional blip to 5500 if the urge takes me!

No flat spots and the engine will idle at 600rpm without problem, whereas with SUs it would idle only above 850rpm and was quite fluffy at low rev/ progression. This was despite a trip to the RR. Probable air leak somewhere...ho hum, it's sorted now with the Webers :)

Great find btw, they'll look (and "go") the business I'm sure!!!

Ade

Oh good, the Weber discussion has kicked off again and we can all talk bollocks ;) for a while.

Pete Cox originally offered me Weber 45's at cost, cost price from Moss when he rebuilt my engine (he's officially retired now so don't ask him again!)

It seemed to good to turn down so off we went on the Weber wexercise.

Several fun visits to the rolling road and we've got all the power we want, but they just won't pick up smoothly from idle, especially in hot weather.

A young Italia owner in Holland I've been helping casually mentioned he'd acquired the NOS 42 Webers and straight away I knew I was in trouble.

Mr Edwards giggled when he told me they were nicest ones he'd ever seen - numbered 1 & 4 on the original packaging from a Maserati 3500GT.

(Connoisseurs will recall that Italias and 3500GT spiders were being made in the same factory at the same time)

I tried to persuade my man in Holland to advertise them on the Forum, but he said he'd like me to have them if I bid a sensible offer.

Had to be done. A reasonable amount of Euros changed hands.

Of course, that's just the start of the fun. They needed 34mm main chokes which had to be machined down from 34mm chokes off 45mm Webers (the chokes are unique to 42DCOE and unobtanium.)

They also needed lot of different internals but they are the same for all Webers so it just meant some research.

And then we sorted the trumpets.

And so now we can bolt them on the car and see what we've got.

And change some more internals.

And go to the rolling road again.

And maybe they'll be perfect. Or not.

I could have stayed with the SU's all along, but where's the fun in that?

I could have lived with the 45's (nobody caught up with me at Castle Combe) but why put up with nearly right.

Stuart does indeed have Dellortos and I could probably have waited for those, as the silly boy is contemplating EFI, but life's too short.

Lastly, just to add some new ideas, I came across Mikunis while I was researching all the above.

http://www.v-performance.com/products/air_fuel.html

Scroll down to the bottom and they are making some very strong claims for these!

All bloody good fun.

Which as far as I am concerned, is what owning a TR is all about.

Edited by Paul Harvey

The 40s (40-DCOE-18s) on my 87mm "road" engine work beautifully for road driving where torque rather then eye-watering revs is needed.

red line on my engine is 5000rpm, with an occasional blip to 5500 if the urge takes me!

No flat spots and the engine will idle at 600rpm without problem, whereas with SUs it would idle only above 850rpm and was quite fluffy at low rev/ progression. This was despite a trip to the RR. Probable air leak somewhere...ho hum, it's sorted now with the Webers :)

Great find btw, they'll look (and "go") the business I'm sure!!!

Ade

Hi Ade

I quite like the idea of 40s, are you running 34 mm main chokes ?

Now then Mikunis...hhhmmmmmmmmm nice.

Mick Richards

Mick,

I have to say, if I was starting from scratch looking for extra performance on a fast road car I would be checking out that Mikuni set up in some detail.

Those guys look like they really know what they are talking about!

Paul

I've bought some Mikunis just waiting for them to arrive

Will happily pass on any info once I get them sorted

Graze

Graze,

Hurry up! :):)

If they are as good as the reports suggest, I need to sell my unobtanium 42DCOE before they become redundant!

Mind you, Mikunis will never qualify for period events.....

......but they certainly qualify for the traffic light Grand Prix!

Hi Mike,

Correct 34mm main chokes.

I cobbled the basic settings off here:

http://www.tr3a.info/WeberDCOEinfo.htm

Using the Canon manifolds and linkage, but would prefer something a bit more "period", if you know what I mean...

Cheers

Ade

Hi Ade

Yes, already found the link, a good read (and all in one place)

More period? Manifold or Carbs ?

Hi Mike,

The carbs are 60's DCOEs, but the manifolds are modern.

Still, while it all works don't mess!

Ade

60 DCOE' ?????? GODDAMN ! I got to get me some of them bad boys !

Mick Richards

Great site for us anorak Weber guys - she must be an interesting lady!

Even Stuart admitted nicking the basic 42DCOE jetting start point from her list

PS Mick - Mine are '65DCOE42 - beat that!