Hi Everyone

My Karcher K5.7 pressure washer has decided to give up the ghost. Mind you checking the general feedback on Karcher has made me realise that I was lucky to have it work as long as it did.

I was wondering what the other members would recommend?

Not having a pressure washer is a bit of a nightmare for me since I hate washing cars by hand and I have four to look after.

Cheers

Alan

You were probably "lucky" enough to have bought it at a time there was only one quality available. Nowadays most Karcher and other pressure washers offered to the public are B grade made in Asia where I'm sitting (especially those you find online and in supermarkets). Karcher are still the best IF you can find the real thing made and assembled in Germany (and good luck in tracing the origin, really). The advantage of Karcher is that they have a huge network of retailers so no problem sourcing parts and accessories.

Edited by Geko

I'm on my second pressure washer, I think you have to accept that unless you pay serious money they will have a limited life.

My current one was bought from Wickes via mail order and is their own brand although I have seen the same machine badged up by a number of different companies. The important thing for me was plenty of pressure so my current one is 160 psi as opposed to the 100 psi of the previous one. Works a treat so far although you have to be careful not to strip paint with it.

Rgds Ian

You wil find that lots of established brands that we used to associate with quality are now inferior far-east stuff.

I find this all the time with cutting tools.

Increasingly I only buy NOS stuf and often from USA.

All part of the rip-off world we are now in.

I just bought a tool made in Switzerland around 1925.

These were £6 in 1915. Anybody know how much that equates to now?

Thanks for all the input.

I've now completely dimantled the Karcher and it does look like a quality product. Surprisingly the pump works on the same principal as the Triumph mechanical fuel pump, with the pressure created by three pistons not some cheap plastic impeller. Despite this I still couldn't find out what was wrong with it.

I was thinking of buying a Nilfisk since my next door neighbour swears by his, although the current model probably carries the dreaded "made in China" sticker on it. More investigation required.

Cheers

Alan

When my 4 year old Karcher broke, they replaced it by return saying our machines last longer than that or something similar. Can't remember precisely as this was about 10 years ago, no problems in that time. So Karcher is OK by me.

Mike

I have had two Karchers, both of which proved to have limited life. Now using a STIHL RE128 Plus - this is more expensive at £200+ but has so far been as good as gold, and being STIHL I would expect it to go on and on. It is electric just like Karchers, though most STIHL products are petrol of course. I believe they may do other washers but not sure whether mine is "entry level" or not.

Matthew

I too have a Stihl power washer. When I got it, I was told that if I was to use an extension lead, make sure its only as long as it needs to be, and made of a suitably sized cable.

Not one of your usual cable extension reels, as this will drasticaly reduce its life, as the pump will be working harder.I had them make me up a cable, think its rated at 16 amps, not sure.

Happy days.

Cheers

GUY

• 3 weeks later...

Well

I finally plumped for a Bosch AQT-37-13 pressure washer. It's small, powerful and seems to do the job. Currently cheapest on Amazon at £142, although I'm sure someone will find it cheaper somewhere else-isn't that always the case!

Alan

• 5 months later...

Six month update.

Avoid the Bosch AQT-37-13 like it's the plague. I've never come across such a heap of junk. I finally got a full refund last week after two successive units developed various faults. In addition it doesn't even have an internal soap bottle.

Bosch customer service also seems to have gone to China. They were absolutely woeful and even stated that they'd be happy to keep repairing the washer for years to come rather than offer a refund. Amazon stepped in and promptly took back the washer and gave a full refund-no questions asked. Well done Amazon!

I'm now looking at a Stihl RE98 which is what my neighbour actually recommended, not a Nilfisk as I wrongly posted.

Has anyone any experience of this washer and can you get an adaptor to allow the fitment of Karcher tools?

Cheers

Alan

Edited by Alan Cochrane

I bought the wife a pressure washer for Xmas year's ago, waste of money, she never uses it.

Hopefully she will find the set of AF spanners that I have got her this year to be far more useful (they are King Dick after all)

I have had an Alto for ten years, I think Alto is the same as Nilfisk?? It's built like a tank and just keeps going year after year.

I had a Karcher which was totally junk so researched to find the best quality for the money and ended up with this Alto. So if you want something that does not break down Nilfisk/Alto will serve you well.

I bought the wife a pressure washer for Xmas year's ago, waste of money, she never uses it.

Hopefully she will find the set of AF spanners that I have got her this year to be far more useful (they are King Dick after all)

Obviously you'll need to get her a 2 ton trolley jack to ensure she gets maximum benefit from the King Dicks....

Better get her a grease gun too Austin, It'll come in handy when she tells you where to put them! :blink:

Great idea steve, I have a spare in the garage still in its original unopened packaging - she'll never know.

Ian - I did buy her a vacuum one christmas - the line "but its a Dyson love" didn't really help.

• 7 months later...

Had the same Karcher for god knows how long and absolutely no issues so +1 for Karcher