Noisy front suspension

I've got a problem with low speed manoeuvres in my tr7(v8), I get a loud knocking noise, almost a cracking noise when turning the wheel. It seems to be coming from the nearside and is not continuous. It recently passed its mot so I assume there's no play in the important areas. Any suggestions??

Hi Andes,

Have a look at the front shock absorber is the rubber gaiter intact? also check that the big nut that holds the shocker into the leg is tight (if these come undone it allows the leg to flex and than you get a nasty clonking sound.

Other than that check the rubber seal on the lower swivel joint again if this is damaged it could allow dirt into the joint and cause wear.

It may be time to take the whole front suspension leg out and to check all the rubbers clean and re-grease the top swivels as well.

Cheers

Ian

Hi, thanks for that, I'll have a look. Not being the most technical person in the world I went to tighten the nut on top of the strut the other day and it seemed to move freely along with the metal dish beneath it, it seems to need a special tool to hold that in place whilst I tighten the nut (apologies for the bad description)......