My car is positive earth and the battery is quite old. It has cells with screw tops and needs distilled water. It has a short earth strap at the back of the battery. I have cleaned it off a few times and it seems to gain a white powder deposit..

Today i took out the battery and there was a lot of the white powder down the back of the battery and it has made a small hole in the battery box. I think that this has happened before as that corner was mostly filler and showed signs of old corrosion and was quite damaged.

I notice that there are new metal battery boxes on ebay and feel that this must happen to other owners as well.

Can you tell me what is the electrical explanation and if it is possible to minimize the damage without removing the battery every week end? It is quite heavy and awkward to lift. Perhaps I can coat the battery posts with something?

Any explanation would be useful. Thanks Richard

Could be one of the cells faulty and over charging causing acid/vapour corroding any exposed metals they come into contact with. Is the voltage regulator operating correctly, this might be causing over charging. Vaseline on the battery post will stop corrosion there. Another solution is to use a sealed battery this will stop all corrosion problems. You can also get plastic battery boxes my tr3 has one,

David

Purchase a new sealed battery and replace the earth strap, Repair any damage to the battery box. New sealed batteries are infinitely better than the old open cells and the corrosion wont return. Belt and braces fit plastic iinsert and lightly grease the terminals and clamps.

This is disappointing as I like the look of the old battery. Topping up the fluid levels is a service job that I can do quickly and without getting greasy I have the fluid about 1/4 inch above the plates. The regulator has just been adjusted to charge a bit more to cope with the headlamps on from start up.after a week standing.

Thanks for the help

That corrosive white powder is an oxidisation process commonly seen on older battery terminals. A tablespoon of baking soda in half a litre of warm water will remove the powder when brushed onto the terminals. Dip the whole metal strand short earth strap in a baking soda solution to properly clean and neutralised it. Wire brush and paint any exposed sheetmetal in the battery box. Consider fitting a plastic battery box liner.

Coating the terminals with Vaseline will stay return of the white powder, but it tends to melt in a TR engine bay. Permatex Battery Protector and Sealer available in a 5 oz spray can is my preference.

Viv

I have a battery tray in plastic but it would be better if there was a plastic liner with a high back and sides more like the metal box originally fitted to the car.

Thanks

Edited by Richardtr3a

Battery box liner. ???

Yes there is onre Richard, I have had one on my car for over 25 years. Item 51 pt No AM7300

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=1875&SortOrder=47

Cheers

Peter W