We'll Guys I think I'm just about clunked and rattled out but I thought before I throw in the towel for good and live with the rear clunk and gear stick rattle I'd ask for any final suggestions so here goes. All suggestions very much appreciated.

Rear end clunk:

Replaced ALL UJs, drive shafts, rear hubs, prop shaft, new gas shocks, recond diff, poly bushed just about everything but still get a clunk. May be a couple of things as I seem to get a consistent clunk when I apply and reduce power cruising. Also clunk if the one side goes over a speed bump. Only thing I can think off now is a slight gap on the rear poly bush on the diff that may be moving but that appears very small,I've tightened all bolts.

Gear stick rattle:

Really annoying under power. I've replace the rear gearbox mount and the selector shaft spring and plunger.

Apart from that the car is going really well after a major rebuild but these 2 have stumped me a bit. Like I say could live with them BUT it detracts from the drive and we all want our cars to be the best we can get them.it would be rude not to so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,

I think you would have seen the usual suspects when replacing the diff: osf diff support pin pulled out of chassis, fractured pressed steel diff hanger - so rule those out.

Could it be engine motion transferred to exhaust knocking on chassis? likewise going over speed bump.

Peter

Rattling: heavier gear knob to balance the gear stick. Suggest you try one of those alloy gear knobs which you could also fill with lead balls or ball bearing balls until you get the balance right.

Edited by Geko

Thanks Peter for the suggestion. I've retarded slightly no difference. Strange enough while I was replacing the spring and plunger and before I replaced the H bracket it took the car for a run. I did actually think that I had fixed the problem. Putting the H bracket back in the problem appeared to be worst.