Fitting Anti-rattle spring and plunger

Practical advice needed.

What is the trick to fitting these two components?

The WM just says depress with a screwdriver (easy enough)!

Firstly there hardly seems room to get a screwdriver in position and secondly the spring is very strong and in its unrestrained state protrudes well out of its cavity in the lever. and that's before you try to add the plunger.

It seems that the spring and plunger needs to be kept compressed together (but how) while being inserted into the cavity formed by the three selector rods.

I have tried it a few times and aren't getting close to achieving it.

Perhaps i should add that the box is saloon with J O/D but frankly it looks just the same as the illustrations in the WM.

Any pointers very welcome.

Norman

Check that the hole is not blocked or obstructing the spring - drill it out if necessary.

Spring lengths vary in length and strength - shorten yours if you have to.

The latest ones from Moss are longer but not as 'thick' spirals and easier to compress.

Unless the plunger is at least partially seated in the hole you won't get it in.

A lot depends on the amount of wear in all the components - keep going until the final assembly gives some reasonable resistance in position.

Fit the rubber gaiters carefully on reassembly so it fits tight up under the Aluminium H frame.

Thanks guys. I think the key comment is "Unless the plunger is at least partially seated in the hole you won't get it in". I cant get mine partially seated.

I thought about some restraint like a cable tie but the selector rods butt up against each other with just no free space to take a cable tie.

The hole is not blocked but tomorrow I'll see if it can be drilled a little deeper - not that that is much different to shortening the spring i guess.

Looks like this is yet another 5 minute job that going to take a few days! Trying desperately to finish the car for the Harpenden "Classics on the Common" event end of July so need to keep the momentum going!

Any more suggestions anyone?

Before trying to fit the assembly make sure the plunger WILL depress into the hole with the spring in place.

If the spring coils bind before the plunger seats you have no chance.

A shorter, tougher spring will work just as well as a longer more compressed one once the thing is in position.

When I first disassembled my gear lever the plunger was firmly stuck in the hole with the metal peened over.

The only way to get it out was to grind the edge back until the hole was round again and the plunger tapped out with a broken spring behind it.

I fully expected to have too much resulting gap and free play necessitating a new gear lever but that has not proved to be the case.

I gave up trying to use cable ties etc. and shortened the spring until it sat just below the hole and used grease to hold the plunger.

The only way I can get the gear lever to rattle now is to enter the 5800rpm harmonic zone by which time that is the least of my worries.

Edited by Paul Harvey

Thanks Paul and Guy. What with the excellent link - didn't show up on my initial forum search (?) - I could hardly have a better overview of the problem and alternative solutions.

I just need to do the checks and persevere - knowing it is possible!

Forum to the rescue again - thanks.

Norman

Job done!

Frankly it was quite easy once the issues were explained and understood, and I had the confidence that it could be done!

So, taking on board all the posts,

• Cut the spring so that it was flush with the hole entrance (doesn't then bind when plunger fully depressed).
  • assembled/compressed spring and plunger with mole grips
  • retained with thin wire
  • offered up to lever - wire displaced in the process to be easily cut away.

Hope the photos may help others that follow.

post-11544-0-04250700-1399882627_thumb.jpgpost-11544-0-12243100-1399882630_thumb.jpg

Thanks again Forum.

Norman

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Still hugely in awe of the collective knowledge of this invaluable forum but beginning to feel I may now have the odd experience to share.

I was going to qualify that by saying...with my rebuild nearing the end.... but the word "asymptotic" springs to mind, as I have the feeling that you never quite get there!

Thanks again

Norman

The simplest example is, when considering a function f(n), there is a need to describe its properties when n becomes very large. Thus, if f(n) = n2+3n, the term 3n becomes insignificant compared to n2 when n is very large. The function "f(n) is said to be asymptotically equivalent to n2 as n → ∞", and this is written symbolically as f(n) ~ n2.

Exactly!