Purchasing a TR4A - advice required

Hello,

I am currently in negotiations to purchase a TR4A. The car is in the UK, and I am based in Spain.

The seller is advising that they will send the car to me using an international shipping company for a 7 day period in which time I should trial the car and inspect it. I need to send 50% deposit to the shipping company before such delivery. If I do not like the car, they will collect it in in a week anyway, and then remiburse the deposit.

Now, does this sound like a genuine offer, or is it just too TGTBT (Too Good To Be True)?!

I would prefer that an independent mechanic with some TR knowledge looked at the car in the UK at my expense, prior to shipping it for trial. There are more experts on TRs in the UK than Spain I would guess?

If the car is ok, and paperwork is ok, how would one then conduct a purchase safely?

Advice appreciated - I'm sure other TR owners on the TR Register site have imported cars. The car is already matriculated in Spain btw.

Does anyone know of a mechanic who could thoroughly inspect a TR4A and who has knowledge of that car and its issues. The car is in Scotland currently, just outside Glasgow.

Thank you.

Regards,

Mark

Edited by tr4a_owner

Definitely not, the offer puts the car owner to a lot of trouble and expense and then apparently after you decide you don't like it they will give back your 50% deposit never mind the costs of shipment both ways ! !

Sounds so much like a scam that it's a wonder that anybody would offer such a deal ! Only proceed if you don't mind never seeing your deposit again and no car turning up to boot. I'm sure if you find another car for sale somewhere in the UK, we should through the forum be able to ask a local group member to visit and inspect upon your behalf, even Glasgow would not be outside the web of TR contacts. An independent viewer is always of benefit, stops me/you getting carried away.

Mick Richards

I agree with Mick, don't send any money

Get an independent person from the forum to inspect which ever car you decide on and act on your behalf to take delivery and arrange shipping, once terms are agreed. Fly in to inspect if you need to - flights aren't that eoensive in Europe

Good luck

Graze

Appreciate your replies, thanks. Similar thoughts went through my head too.

If a mechanic did look at the car in question, and it did turn out (1) to actually exist and (2) to be a sound car with no serious issues, and (3) if I got an independent shipping company and my lawyer in Spain to handle the payment (perhaps escrow) and paperwork, would that be sufficient to ensure it was not a scam?

Thanks,

Mark

Mark,

How did you find out about the car?

There are various ways to protect your money but possession is 9/10's of the law.

It should be possible to suss out whether this is a genuine sale before investing valuable time on a wild goose chase.

Why not tell the seller you have found a really knowledgeable TR guy to come and look at it with your cash in his pocket and see what they say?

Hi Mark,

Have you thought about using a professional inspection service? A Google search will show several UK companies, cost appears to be £200 - £300. If you find problems with the car, if you purchase it on the recommendation of the inspection service, you would be able to take the company to court. Perhaps not such an easy decision if the inspection was carried out by a club member.

Graham

There is one of our members on here Ian (Glasgow4a) who will be able to have a look for you, but from what you have said it does sound like a scam to me.

Stuart.

I can tell you to matriculate a Tr4A in spain is both expensive and arduous, I know I have done it. You should ask the question if the car exists and is even half decent why have they not sold the car in Spain where on the whole they are 20 to 25 % more expensive than uk. Maybe you could ask the seller this question. Sounds implausible to me

John

You havn't been listening have you ..............??????

It is so obviously a Scam you are not going to be able to get someone to go on a WILDGOOSE CHASE for you.

SCAMS like this are all too common in the UK now and are always Internet based these days. You will probably find the so called SELLER lives in NIGERIA.

WAKE UP....!!!

Edited by SuzanneH

Hi Mark,

I'm sure non of us wish to put your desire to own a TR down, and as Stuart says there is a member in Glasgow who can cover it for you, but the concensus seems to be that this particular car may not exist or be owned by the person offering it for you. For your safety's sake it may be that finding another car may give a better result.

Mick Richards

So much for the wild goose chase, I found an inspection company located just outside Glasgow and they are looking at the car this afternoon. Seems I found the genuine item! I must have been lucky. Owner has sent copies of all paperwork too. I'll update later.

Mark,

When my Italia was first advertised it sounded too good to be true, and several potential buyers decided it was a scam.

I flew to see it and found the car of a lifetime.

Good luck - I hope yours turns out to be the real deal for you.

Oh! Right! Do let us know how they get on, I am very interested in the immediate and final outcome.

Hope it all pans out well.

The whole shipping it out issue sounds very odd indeed - highly risky for both seller and esp' buyer.

Why wouldn't you have flown over to see it yourself - a budget airline return ticket is not that expensive.

At east by getting an independent company to view it, if it all turns out to be dodgy such as seller not owning, at least a TRR Member is not innocently associated with advice to purchase or its value.

Have you done any sort of checks on its history / finance etc and then your Inspector could ask the vendor to show a matching ID to the ownership details.

I agree with all the other members, if you plan on buying the car its best to be standing in front of it and as Spain is only a short hop on a plane it's money well spent to get a look at it first, DO NOT SEND MONEY it really sounds like a scam!

if you do look at it and you want to buy it there are plenty of shippers out there who could ship the car either overland or by sea depending on where in Spain you are?

Have a look at Kingstown shipping Ltd (Mark Cowley), I've just used them to ship my TR4a from canada to uk and they have been great to deal with so far and I'm now just waiting to get it up from Kent to my home.

Gavin

Edited by stargazergs

Pay (in advance) train fare to Glasgow, a few nights hotels for the trip down, and a flight back and a member will no doubt bomb it across Europe for you; but if it breaks down on the way !!!!!!

Will an independent UK company know if the Spanish documentation will be correct?

Depending when it was matriculated into Spain it will be either normal or Historic registration. The documentation for circulation(driving) is quite different as are the plates. In addition the chassis numbers will be imprinted into the actual chassis, the Spanish are not too keen on easily removed riveted metal plates.

Good luck if you proceed

John