Hi, trying to remove my n/w Lucas alternator from my (late CR) TR6. How do you disconnect the cables at the back? There are three cables which go into what appears to be a multi connector. Does it just pull out (it won't come away, but I don't want to break it by forcing it)? I can't see any other way to remove the cables, and the manuals (Haynes and Triumph Repair Manual) just say "remove the cables" with no advice or pictures to show how.

Also, any advice on whether to have the alternator reconditioned or find a replacement?

Hi
You haven’t said what symptoms you have. Is it not charging the battery, is it allowing the battery to discharge through it, are the bearings noisy?
Over 90% of alternator problems are due to the Carbon brushes have worn down. This is only a 5-minuet job. One option is to source a new unit and then have a go at overhauling the one you have, as a spare.

Mike