Remote he Electric Fan

Hi Stuart, that looks nice. I've decided to go the whole hog and fit a narrow fan belt conversion, new pump and pump body, kenlowe pull fan and to top it off a works replica header tank located in the bulkhead plate see pic. That should get us to mont carlo in the summer heat. Now I'm worried the dynamo won't cope with the fan??? Where will it all end :)

Regards Pete

post-8269-0-80556100-1400511203_thumb.jpg

Peter W: although I fitted a bleed screw to the thermostat housing when I installed the header tank years ago, I found that the system purged itself of air, so have never used the bleed screw since then.

Pete T: what is a "works replica header tank"? I've never seen a Works' TR2/3/4 with header tank as original fitment. As far as I am aware, those which have a header tank now (like my 4VC) acquired it later in life!

Please tell me if I am mistaken - one lives and learns!

Ian Cornish

I used to have so many questions

Now I still have so many questions, but also so many 'upgrades' I feel inadequate without !

Hi Austin, I wouldn't be bothering if we weren't planning a summer trip down to Monte Carlo. I like my TRs nice and original but it's important we do everything possible to have the best shot at making it there without burning the toast.

Regards Pete

No one seems to have mentioned the clearance between the pump impeller and the pump body which is critical to the pump performance. Not easy to check because you cant measure it directly and it has to be calculated. Not easy to adjust either but still critical!

just a thought.

The one thing that stopped my car overheating was the new upgraded radiator core from a radiator company, Southern Radiators, in Chichester, West Sussex. They sent it to London and it came back with extra fins and of course no secret build up inside .

My water pump came from Racetorations and I run a wide belt which has to be a loose fit to avoid wearing out the bronze bearing at the end of the dynamo. The radiator upgrade was the best part of the solution and we have twice run to Classic Le Mans without ever using the Kenlowe push fan. I have the original thermostat.

The radiator was the best bet. The old one looked good but had calcium build up from many years use.

Good luck

Richard

Hi Rich/Ian, the rad was re-cored a few thousand miles ago with a modern core and deletion of the starter hole so this shouldn't be part of the problem. As for the pump and the rest of the solution, I guess in the end for mere mortals like me (not the sharpest knife in the box) you have to take advice from the best people you can find and, not withstanding the extraordinary levels of technical knowledge and experience of the forum members for which I am truly grateful, I have decided to throw my hand in with the guys at TR Enterprises. Essentially I will end up with the same set up as there race cars so this should suffice. I've nearly finished installing all but the header tank (still being put together from there supplier) so will road test and update this thread as soon as possible. Weather permitting we're off to North Yorkshire next Friday so it will get a good 600 mile run.

Regards Pete

Hi Rich/Ian, the rad was re-cored a few thousand miles ago with a modern core and deletion of the starter hole so this shouldn't be part of the problem. As for the pump and the rest of the solution, I guess in the end for mere mortals like me (not the sharpest knife in the box) you have to take advice from the best people you can find and, not withstanding the extraordinary levels of technical knowledge and experience of the forum members for which I am truly grateful, I have decided to throw my hand in with the guys at TR Enterprises. Essentially I will end up with the same set up as there race cars so this should suffice. I've nearly finished installing all but the header tank (still being put together from there supplier) so will road test and update this thread as soon as possible. Weather permitting we're off to North Yorkshire next Friday so it will get a good 600 mile run.

Regards Pete

Great to see (read) that you've taken drastic measures!

As always, we love pics: of the new parts & setup and off course the 600 mile trip is worth a few pics as well, I guess! Keep us informed!

Menno