Chrome bumper or works rally light bar?

I've got the Revington "works" light bar fitted but have the chrome bumper/overriders nicely rechromed and sitting wrapped up in the garage.

What is the consensus on the better look for the TR5? "Works" light bar or original chrome bumper?

Is the light bar too radical or does it suit the colour/style of this car?

tr5_blue.jpg

haselmere5_sm.jpg

badge_bar1_sm.jpg

Edited by TR Mitch

Car still looks the business, and got your pm. I like them both, the originality boys will prefer the bumper, and they are hard to come by in good nick. I'd have the bumper given your medium term intentions, and sell the rally bar. In any event no one is going to dislike it but the rally look is more of an acquired taste. Btw , why is it always sunny in your part of the country......

Hi Colin and Robin, i like to see them with a front bumper fitted, as robin rightly says, the light bar is an aquired taste.

I like the idea of spotlamps though, so why not the original bumper with a decent chrome spotlamp bar.

Its all to taste and you can have your car.however you want it......

Cheers,

Conrad.

I think the overall look is quite different.

a 5 with wire wheels, original bumpers etc look like a 'Gentleman's classic' the minilights and spotlights more of a 'Sport Classic'

two great looks !

steve

I have the lamp bar on my TR4 and it suits this car very well, but I don't think it suits the TR5 as well, as the TR5, to my knowledge, was never a rally car.

That doesn't mean that you can't turn it into one if that floats your boat. I personally like all styles of TR, from the pure original, to the highly modified and altered.

Go the lamp bar route for one year and then change it for the following year and see which you prefer. There is very little that we can't reverse on these cars.

All the best.

Dave.

Lamp bar or standard bumper - both look good.

Depends also on the rest of the car, as in, any

other non-standard features.

I had intended to fit a lamp bar to TR 2100 after

the restoration, although I was intending to retain

the bumper.

Had the 7" Lucas spots, and wiring included in the

custom loom, all ready.

But - when the car was complete, with no other

(external) mods (except ARE wheels), I reckoned

the car looked better as it was, i.e. no spots.

Great thing is - you can easily switch from one setup

to the other.

AlanR

As you appear to have smaller spotlamps, rather than the 7" Lucas lamps fitted to the Works' Rally TR4s, you could fit the bumper and over-riders and purchase one of Revington's lamp bars which fits between the over-riders. With the smaller spotlamps, the bonnet should open without hitting the lamps -but check with Neil prior to purchase.

Neil has built a TR5 for rallying, but Triumph never used an IRS TR in rallies - not strong enough for the rough off-road conditions in the mid-1960s onwards.

Ian Cornish

Neil has built a TR5 for rallying, but Triumph never used an IRS TR in rallies - not strong enough for the rough off-road conditions in the mid-1960s onwards.

Downhill all the way after TR4 until (and this is hard for me to type) the wedges.

TRShop sell a good SS light bar for use with the bumper at a modest price.

Hi, I am new to TRs so my opinion is merely offered as a casual observer but i'd say (given the comments above) that an original bumper with either a light bar or direct fix lamps to the bumper (non-reversible) would be a good look as these would commonly have been fitted by owners at the time as after market fittings, its all a matter of personal prefererence. Personally I like the look of additional lamps (usually one yellow fog and a spot) and have always fitted them to the bumpers on my previous cars.

regards

Charleds

By the way, if you want a yellow fog lamp you can get the special yellow film on Ebay. I buy a pair of clear glass halogen lamps and disassemble one of them to apply the yellow film to the inside of the glass with a hair dryer. The film magically forms/fuses to the curved glass! I think the look of the car is enhanced and also the extra light of the spot is appreciated on dark country roads. (Yes I know I haven't done it to my TR yet but Beaulieu is only a couple of weeks away).

Charles

• 2 years later...