Looks a bit of a mess Andrew, hope you can get it fixed, before your trip.

Parky

Hi Peter,

Yes it is mate, but dropped it off with Pete Cox this afternoon so should get back in about 3 weeks - so I will still be able to give Duncan's 3A a run for money in September down to Angouleme - and if takes his TR5 then the TR6 is coming out to play! :D

Hi Andrew,

What actuallu happened, looks a bit like the saddle clamps have been working on the top of the axle?

Hi Rod,

The CWP is just wear and tear as TuRK has done 147,000 miles and the hardening now isn't!

The axle damage is years of abuse the spring leaf locating pins not being located into the axle bracket allowing the axle to move about hence the elongated bracket holes, the U bolts severely wearing into the casing and also the collapse of the leaf spring locating bracket through years of bouncing around - all that, and the first I knew something was wrong was the CWP whining very loudly!

Tough little cars these sidescreens! :)

Cheers

Andrew

Must have produced some interesting handling quirks! But of course, these would hve come on gradually and not been apparent. I dare say if another regular sidescreen driver had driven the car it would have been noticed. Commiserations, Andrew.

Hi Andrew,

Given your description I would be inclined to check the whole drive train from propshaft uj back to gearbox, seals and wear on the propshaft sliding splines and gearbox ones as well. From the piccies it looks like you were incredibly lucky not to break the axle! Is it only one side or both?

Greeting from the sunny South of France!

Alec,

Not even my reliable MOT man picked this up; himself a Stag and TR owner - difficult to see when fitted to the car though.

David,

Can't say I noticed anything untoward with the handling as it's been like it for years, although I did have a few more clonks than usual on reflection.

Rod,

Both sides. The drivetrain has all been checked and no drama - gearbox/OD rebuilt a couple of years back by Pete Cox and prop replaced at the same time - no damage thankfully!

Cheers

Andrew

So what about when the new rear springs were fitted Andrew, that wasnt that long ago. Not spotted and rectified then?

Stuart.

Its amazing that Smith the Quiff, is suddenly guilty of appalling maintenance on his old shed, despite it being as old as Methusala, and naturally ready to fall into disrepair, whilst our hero is caning the Gerry motor as hard as possible.

Andrew don't worry son, it was that bloke oooo fitted the U bolts that screwed up, I always see MOT blokes checking U bolts as soon as cars go on the ramp, don't you. FMD.

Mr Cox has been on to me about a weld procedure for the axle, we agreed that turning it upside down would do the trick nicely, and run a bit of dum dum over the shiny bits, problem solved.

You won't notice any difference.

Can I just end this short note saying I hope it doesn't Piss down too much in the SOF, you stuffy Git,

How the hell did that get through an MOT ?

Good question and just goes to show you can't always rely on a MOT as an indication of a car's roadworthiness (even if the tester is a Stag and TR owner himself) - not that TuRK was unroadworthy, just an accident waiting to happen! But I can't point the finger at him as this is my responsibility so down to me, as I should have spotted it but didn't!

However, what matters now is that it's being fixed and that all else mechanical is in good order, which it is.

Pete,

As always, you crack me up - but, there is no more ragging the M3 as it's been sold to make way for the Saffron TR6.

Cheers

Andrew

Looking at a 3A over the pit and on stands with suspension drooping, I reckon if the MoT tester missed that it's more than time he gave up in favour of A N Other employment. Agreed it's not so obvious to a diy owner crawling about under the car, but then the MoT is for spotting what the owner misses.

I invariably pay my man for an extra half hour at MoT time, so that he and I are able to check all the items that do not come into the MoT inspection, and usually we spot something useful in need of attention. That extra pony has proved to be a damn good annual investment over the years.

Cheers

Alec

If you want to reclaim this casting you may be able to so by TIG weld using Silicon-Bronze rod.

Well it will weld up because this even works on cast-iron.

But the wear resistance would be lower. But not by much.

Phil,

Not sure I follow your train of thought as Andrew said it was missed by the MOT man so either way it wasn't picked up or happened really quickly.

Rod

So what about when the new rear springs were fitted Andrew, that wasnt that long ago. Not spotted and rectified then?

Stuart.

Andrew

And you poured scorn on my suspension escapades .......mmmm Pot, kettle,,,,,,,,,,,, :P:lol::lol::lol:

Andrew

And you poured scorn on my suspension escapades .......mmmm Pot, kettle,,,,,,,,,,,, :P:lol::lol::lol:

Greetings from the Monaco Historic!

Ahhh, but the reason I stripped out the axle was because there was something wrong.......... :D :D

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew

I feel for you, **** happens,

The mot guy missed it, he is only human,

On the plus side no one got hurt

Let's hope it dousnt cost to much

Pink

The mot man should be reported and sacked end of.

The mot man should be reported and sacked end of.

You should be on the Telly.

Agnostics rule, never forgive human frailty, your andle could be "Mr Perfect"

Off to watch the footy.