Hi,

I'd like to replace the seats in my TR3A (1961) with something period that is going to offer protection against whiplash should I be shunted up the rear or slip off the circuit / track.

Any ideas what i should be looking at?

many thanks kev

mmmm, protection against whiplash. I had one, few years back, still suffering from it and drove a modern BMW. So it seems that also modern seats are not a guarantee as they do not protect you against the forward G forces. But I agree a seat with a head rest is better than none. I have installed period style classic type bucket seats made by Corbeau. Black with white piping. They are a nice fit in a side screen car and comfort is quite good. Availible from Holden and others. Also Revington and Racetorations have nice period bucket seats in the programm, I guess also made by Corbeau. Have a look on their respective website.

Perhaps this is an option:www.thegallerybrummen.nl

A very large classic car dealer in the middle of The Netherlands.

They have a page in English. Anyway they have a TR3B on  sales with headrests attached to the seats of the car.

Okay, it's not my cup of tea (neither is the car! I've seen it, and even for continental standards the price is way to high!), but it's something to consider. I live nearby and from time to time I pay them a visit. Not to buy, just looking...

Menno

Kevin

Period and protection against whiplash? In a sidescreen TR?

If you find anything let me know.

The original seats unbolt fairly easily, so I suppose you could swop them over when you feel you need them!

I don't even bother with seatbelts, even though they are fitted!

I do feel exposed when on busy roads but what can you do?

Fit full rollcage, wear a helmet, racing harness - the works - you may as well go and buy a Super Seven.

Oh the joys of driving an old car.

good luck.

Pete

I don't even bother with seatbelts, even though they are fitted!

Hi Pete, if seat belts are fitted, you are legally obliged to wear them and can be fined/prosecuted for not doing so.   Watch out for the Revenue Collectors!   Also, in the event of an accident, you could come unstuck if claiming for personal injuries.

I'm awaiting the arrival of a pair of Davida "classic" helmets.

Better protection then nothing at all and should go well with the aero screens.

My cars has lap seat belts, sometimes I wear them ,sometimes not, depends on my mood.

No body wants an injury but that is the trade off for owning a period car.

I do my best to avoid placing myself at risk with other traffic ,I avoid peak hour traffic and wet roads. For myself I don't mind driving in the rain but some drivers are just so careless I don't wish to risk my car or myself.

My big fear is of being struck on the side.

Mychael

Mychael

As quoted above if the belt is there it must be worn... advise if you don't want to wear it, remove it!  a LAP BELT IN A TR WOULD DO MORE HALM THAN GOOD ANYWAY!  You would be pinned intop the seat while your head bounced off the steering wheel!

Being strapped in is what mostly causes the whiplash as your belt stops your body moving forward and this then slams your body back into the seat whipping your neck.

As for a period seat offering head restraint, I doubt that anything would be available.  I'd sugest going the whole hog and fitting racing seats (sparco or similar) and then you might as well fit a full harness... you'd also need to alter the t/cover to suit the higher seats.

Yes clive I agree about the lap belts. In fact the main benefit I find in having the lap belt on is that it secures me a bit more into the seat when I'm belting around the bends.

From a safety perspective it probably achieves little.

It's almost a case of "all or nothing", if we go for a good seatbelt arrangement should we then fit a roll cage? The last thing you'd want would be to be strapped into a  standard TR if it rolled.

The best safety we can have is "Primary Safety" avoiding the prang in the first place by being vigilant and doing our best not to place ourselves in harms way.

Not many classic cars and especially open ones have any degree of "Secondary safety" the ability of the vehivle to protect the occupents if you do have a stack.

Mychael

Guest GDalzell

II would agree with the others re belts and roll bars. If you're gonig to protect yourself, do it properly; full belts, roll bar and head rests. Remember that the TR is low and many vehicles such as 4x4s will climb over the back of you car. At least a roll bar might do somwething about stopping them before you take your head off. If you look in the Demon Tweeks catalogue, they offer an adjustabe headrest which is clamped onto the roll bar but you'll need to position and lock it carefully as it will try to rotate about the bar as your head hits it.

Regards Graham

To reply to Kevin and Uncle Pete's original question regarding suitable replacement seats.

I bought some 50/60's style seats from Cobra which fit well into the narrow side screen TR.

They look the part and are more comfy than the bouncy originals. Best of all they were cheaper than even a new set of covers for repairing the old ones.

If you are interested contact Cobra direct or ask here and I will look up the model number.

Chris

They are the 'Cub' seats

http://www.cobraseats.com/item.asp?pg=SP&id=CUB

The headrests fit under the hardtop on 'Grommitt' and are actually quite effective. As delivered they are non-removeable, though.

The Cobra mounting runners kit can be fitted with a bit of ingenuity and some channel section.

Chris

Is it me or do the Cobra seats look very much like the ones you can get from Sparco (Demon Tweeks / Merlin etc... )?

Sertenly the Aqua one looks IDENTICAL to the Sparco ones we have in our off-road buggy!

Jonlar, Clive

Its bad enough not being able to have a fag with the roof off without having to wear a belt as well!

May as well give up booze, coffee and butter!

Is sex allright?

Grommit

Not a bad looking seat - I see what you mean about keeping your bum from sliding around.

I wonder if they do it in beige with white piping????

Pete

Jonlar, Clive

Its bad enough not being able to have a fag with the roof off without having to wear a belt as well!

May as well give up booze, coffee and butter!

Is sex allright?

Pete, I and Clive were just pointing out that if belts are fitted you are legally obliged to wear them or take the penalty/fine.   As Clive said, if you don't want to use them, remove them!, but I do fully agree about the nanny state mentality - gets worse by the day.

Is sex allright?    Well, it depends on individual taste, consenting adults, and so long as you're not oriental and into Rover, you should be OK!!

Kevin,

I am currently selling a brand new roll bar, if your interested. It just has a little superficial damage to the vinyl cover near the base. I am selling for half the Moss price. Email me if your interested and I will send you some pics and the price.

Chalky  :)

TS61652 1960 TR3A just on the road.  :D

• 2 weeks later...

Smoking in a tr... not healthy...

Firkin bloke in fromt of me once threw a fag out of his eurobox... i saw it go to the front of my car, stopped, and looked under the bonnet... it was sat on the engine smoldering... not entierly sure how it went around the radiator, but it was there... no question.

fags while driving are WORSE than mobile phones and sweets!  If i drop a sweet i can ignore it, if u drop a fag...

here endeth the lesson...

:)

Drop a fag! me! I just stub it out on the road!

I looked at the cobra site and the 'cub' seats look nice!

the website shows a red seat with a headrest and a black one without a headrest.

Is the headrest removable? (that would solve the tonneau cover problem)

How easy are cobra seats to get recovered?

'Wifely' spends half the time hanging on to the grab rail (can't be my driving!) and a more positive 'fit' would certainly be more comfortable!

any thoughts guys (and girls)

pete

Saw a group of TRs parked in the New Forest on Monday, presumably a local group outing.  Amongst the cars was a lovely light blue 3A with very nice red leather/white piping bucket seats which seemed to offer more restraint and neck protection than the standard ones.

Anyone know whose it is?

UnclePete

The basic Cobra 'cub' seat comes without headrest, this is an optional extra and is not officially removable, although I think with a bit of ingenuity this could be modified.

I don't see why you would want to recover new seats, they are 'cheapo' anyway.

I modified the rather bright red that mine came in by using a Woolies vinyl colour kit to match Grommitt's existing red trim.

The main point with the Cobra seats is that a pair cost less than a set of covers for the original TR seats and give a vastly superior ride.

I believe that for losts of extra brass they can be ordered in colour matched leather. The end result would look much the same as the cheap vinyl.

I have just bought a digi camera and could post some piccies if these would help.

BTW the seat is a good snug fit for a slimish person, might be a bit tight for the larger buttock.

Chris

Grommitt

'Larger Buttock' !!! Wifley would be annoyed. As for me I am as 'slim as a bean', well a broad bean anyway?

Got an email back from Cobra 'the cub seat headrest is removeable' so they say. Whether you can slide it out or have to unbolt it I am not sure at the moment,

As for recovering the seats - when you have beige with white piping upholstery, door caps, dash, tonneau, soft top, carpets and door linings a pair of bright red or black seats would look a bit silly, these are cobra's only colour options.

pete :D

Just spoke to a very helpful guy at Cobra.

The headrest on the Cub seat is easily removeable by pushing in 2 release clips, behind the fabric about 4" below the top of the seat. now where's my cheque book.

Pete