Chaps

... having another go with this question.

I'm looking for some practical guidance on how to fit both popper and lift-the-dot fasteners to the new tonneau, ideally with the strapline 'no special tools needed'.

It might be obvious and straightforward, but I'd really like to avoid learning through trial and error and end up make a botch of it. Nothing worthwhile appears on Youtube and there's nothing in the forum.

Thanks

Paul

Paul

Mine didn't have lift the dot fittings but had the eyelets on the dash fitted. If yours doesn't have these I'd fit the two centre ones first and then work outwards to align the tonneau with the screen and then once they are done move to the centre fitting at rear of cockpit. Again I then moved out both sides alternately. Look on buckeye for hood fitting instructions for help. Chalk the locations for each popper. Remove hood from car. Place heavy rug or blanket over boot with wide piece of timber on top and use that as a base for punching the dots in place good luck. Graze

Thanks, Graze.

I'm trying to find out how to fit the lift-the-dot fasteners without damaging either the fastener itself or the mohair. It seems a bit unlikely that the fastener will hold together (and grip the fabric) with just the four lugs bent over, so I'm speculating there may be another process involved.

I remember you said that your four front end lift-the-dots were fitted when it arrived. Mine weren't, but I had to send the tonneau back for adjustment and I asked for them to be fitted. Unfortunately, this hasn't happened, so I'm on my own...

Cheers

Paul

Mine has a lift the dot on the strap that dangles down that fastens to the transmission tunnel.

Paul the front just has eyelets not lift the dot fasteners

I'll send you a photo tomorrow

Graze

The proper tool for doing the fixing holes for lift the dot fasteners is this one. http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1179-lift-the-dot-punch.aspx

But for a tonneau on a 6 you shouldnt need it.

They should have these at the front http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1582-brass-eyelets.aspx

And these down the door tops and round the rear. http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1042-durable-dot-fastener.aspx

Stuart.

• 4 years later...

Old thread..but

if a TR6 comes with a tonneau, with door snaps, but no pegs on the dash, what is the solution? Can the dash pegs be installed without disassembly of the TR?

the tonneau has the rings on the front, as per Stuart's response.

Graham

Thank you Andrew, is this a purchase and replace, or do you modify the existing mounts?

Graham

Thank you Andrew and Roger.  Any pics? 

I am going to a flea market tomorrow, I may be able to pick up what I need.

Graham