Electrically stupid question

I want to wire up a multi plug for phone charger, gps etc . This would normally plug into a ciggy lighter socket so if I cut off the ciggy plug to convert to a dash two pin plug which is positive and negative.

The plug and socket are on a typical 50's/60's Lucas switch panel with a large and a small pin plug.

Car is negative earth

Help appreciated as brain fade has set in today.

Rgds

Rod

On a negative earth car the centre pin of the cigar lighter plug is positive. I have no idea on the convention for the Lucas socket but a multimeter will tell you which is positive.

Why not leave the cigar plug on, & fit a hidden cigar socket in the car. That is what I have done, made up a plate to hold the socket, & bolted it horizontally onto the left hand strut which steady'd the bottom of the dash. Invisible unless you peer under the dash, & universal.

Bob.

Rod

I've done the same in my GT6 as Bob has described. I haven't used a bracket but left it loose in the driver's side parcel shelf. This is hidden by the dashboard and powers my DAB Pure Highway radio. I wouldn't cut away the cigar lighter when it's just as easy to wire in a second 12v socket.

Alan

Don't have cig lighter fitted and want to use the centre power plug on the sub panel. no matter I will cut the end off and pin check cable colours.

ec53891b-d441-4904-bd4b-e34c87682711.jpg

Ciggy lighter socket in the rear of the glove box. Advantage is that anything that is charging can be hidden away in the glove box, (also somewhere to put it while charging).

Nigel

post-795-0-95762700-1399187104_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nigel Lay

I'm sure I replied to this before, so apologies if I repeat myself.

For a trip to Le Mans, when I intended to take lots of pics/video and download the images to my laptop, I installed a cigar lighter in the boot. With a way to secure the laptop, and an adaptor to a three pin plug, I could leave the laptop strapped in and on charge while driving. Cameras could be recharged from the laptop, or directly from the adaptor with their usual chargers, and all the valuable kit was hidden away in the boot.

I chose to have the boot socket live only with the ignition on, as I would fear discharging the battery if I left any of the kit on charge overnight. The 12V DC to 240V AC conversion is not very efficient, but fine when the engine is going

John